sigh

i just wanna give up breastfeeding ? i feel bad that my partner had to skip many days of work and have to care for me (having 3rd degree tear) and baby keeps demanding bf till my nips got super sore and almost bleed on both. even lactation nurse can't do much. its only 3rd pp ???

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Poor thing. It must be so tough! For the first month, if you don’t have enough supply, just top up with formula (you can use syringe to feed if you’re scared of nipple confusion). That gives your nipples time to heal. Also apply lanolin ointment or other nipple creams. I used Medela purelan ointment (apply just before and after feeding). It really helped a lot! Then you can also pump to increase your milk supply. There are many things that people encourage you to eat to increase production, but what’s really important is that you drink loads of fluids, get some sleep and also not stress out. Stress drops the milk supply very quickly. Take all the painkillers you need for your 3rd degree tear. Take laxatives if you need to as well, since passing motion may be difficult. Once your supply can keep up with the demand, breastfeeding becomes easier and definitely more enjoyable. But the first part is really difficult, so it’s very normal to feel like giving up. I hope you’ll try for a bit longer, before deciding whether to continue or stop. Either way, as long as baby is well fed and you’re doing your best for your LO, you’re still an awesome mum okay? Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise ❤️ Congrats on your newborn by the way!

Read more

I only managed to breastfeed for a couple of days postpartum and had to turn to formula milk due to latching issues and low milk supply despite seeing the lactation consultant. Thereafter, I only managed to feed my baby occasional express breastmilk for less than a month before switching to 100% formula milk. Trust me. The defeat I felt was worse. I thought I could exclusively breastfeed my baby for at least a few months. Took me a while but I finally came to terms with it. All these “breast is best” is bull crap. It makes mothers even worse for not being able to breastfeed due to their own circumstances. I would say, “fed is best”. More importantly, as long as the mummy is comfortable, healthy and happy.

Read more
4y ago

Yes!!! I was in this situation too and I was feeling so much mom guilt. Fed is best!

Stay positive! If you really want to BF must try to relax and stay confident that your body can provide for LO. They will latch often and for long periods of time. It can be hard to find the right positions, try a nursing pillow it really helped us. Latching is the easiest in the long run and helps maintain your supply. Try to avoid bottle feed this early, it is highly likely your baby would get nipple confusion which is very challenging to overcome. Good luck and turn to BF support groups, lactation consultants for support if your goal is to exclusively breastfeed. If it is I also strongly suggest not to top up with formula. It will just kill your supply.

Read more
VIP Member

Hang in there! It may be difficult now with the confinement, pain and all but you need to believe in yourself that you can get the hang of breastfeeding soon. Think about all the benefits of breastfeeding and the bonding you can have with your baby. Check your baby’s latching, apply some nipple cream or breast milk after every breastfeeding session. It’s also normal for your baby to keep wanting to latch now since babies can eat whenever they want when they are in our tummies. Try not to give a bottle too soon to avoid nipple confusion. You can try syringe or cup feeding.

Read more

You can do it mummy! Do what makes you feel better ya? If you’re unhappy it becomes difficult to be the best mum for your baby. The sore nipples are really very painful and I feel you😭 Mummy friends did tell me that if latch is correct then won’t feel painful. If you want to continue BF maybe can watch some videos on latching? Both mummy and baby are learning so cut yourself some slack! (Also apply nipple cream! Those help to soothe the cracked skin and is safe for baby to consume.) All the best mummy!

Read more

Hang on mummy. You are strong than these. Hold on.. Dont give up. Formula milks are really expensive on the long run. I have four kids now all on formula. Every month i spend 1k just on one month supply of their formula milk. Try to compress more and apply the nipple cream. Try to pump often if can. Your lo havent get the idea of latching properly thats why you bleed is it? Did the latching nurse say anything about your lo latching properly?

Read more

I think you should try breastpump, and let baby feed through milk bottle. It helps regulate the milk too. Meanwhile you cn heal first. Or maybe cn try umm i saw got this thing that looks like a plastic shield. Like the cover of the pacifier. I do not know what's that called. Stae strong ok. Dont breastfeed directly for the time being. I myself cnnt handle the pain. Stay strong ok. Hugs.

Read more
4y ago

Oooh. Thank you. I think that'll help. I jz saw it on an ad so I'm not sure what it's called. Looks like it cn help.

Super Mum

U can pump 3 hourly for the time being and take the time to heal while yr partner help u. dont stress yrself. When routines are pretty much established, and u feel better, jazz it up with latching several times per day. And when ure definitely ready, can carry on ebf. I understand how overwhelming it can get...my baby finally can latch aft 2 mths. Take one day at a time. Hugs mummy!

Read more

There is no right or wrong way of feeding our babies. I breastfed only for the first few days, feeling like an emotional wreck and so vulnerable, i gave up. I expressed my milk and bottle feed it to my baby instead. I admit pumping is more time consuming than direct latch, but at least my baby is still having breastmilk. Whatever it is, you do what works best for u.

Read more

Hang in there, I started off not doing right as well that cause alot of year and bleed on nipple.. just try and try after u recover.. nipple cream do helps.. and also find a position your baby suck at best like football position etc.. this also helps to reduce the tear and baby suck happily and u suffer less.. you can do it..

Read more