Restrictions?!

Hi, Wanna know if anyone experiences cases where the elders have strange advices on your food intake and how you handle them? For example, I was told NOT to eat the following foods/fruits that are recommended to have during pregnancy and to EAT the food where is it not recommended to have during pregnancy The DONTS by Elder - anything sour - kiwi - strawberries - yoghurt -bird nest - don’t drink too much water The DOs and OKAY by Elders - cold ham - papaya - LOTSSSS of durian (they say don’t be worried, I won’t get diabetes) - best to only eat apple and pear for fruits (really like only this two fruits for 9 months?!) Not saying I’m going to follow what the elder say, but I’m definitely will not be comfortable doing what I do usually with them around as I will be nagged and blamed for. How do you handle and manage all this “restrictions” given by the elders? Of cos one way to tackle this issue will be consulting the Gynae if the above foods are good to eat !

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Wow the "no list" is so ridiculous. You mean no strawberries and kiwis... A.k.a. fruits high in vitamin c that not only keep you healthy but also boost your absorption of iron during pregnancy... Cos you know you need more iron now. Please don't listen to them. And staying hydrated is very important as we tend to overheat easier than usual. My Chinese boss also told me to eat lots of durians cos it's good for me. But I told her off cos it's the most stupid advice I've ever heard. Then I checked with my gynae and she says it's utter BS and please avoid durians as it leads to gestational diabetes, overheating of the body and big baby. Go figure.

Read more
5y ago

❤️💪🏼

Super Mum

I experienced this too, what's more ridiculous is my own parents would have a set of rules and my in-laws have their own different set of rules haha. It's impossible to please everyone. You yourself know best what's good for baby as we have gynae to advise us plus Internet resources. Their outdated beliefs might not benefit anyone. So for me I just ignore and eat what I want when they're not around.

Read more
5y ago

Thankfully I have very supportive parents and they trust that whatever I’m doing meant well for the baby! Thanks for sharing your experience and advice ! ☺️

Super Mum

Their advices might not be 100% true and it's not scientific proven. Gynae will advice no durian intake as that will result to diabetes. It's best to listen but don't need to follow. I listened and kept quiet. I didn't bother to argue back as they will not listen.

I think you shouldn't take the advise too seriously and not affect your mood. Do the right thing. Maybe you can find some article or YouTube videos to educate them that what is good for pregnancy.

5y ago

Yeah initially I felt quite upset from receiving all these kind of comments from them because I am probably more paranoid than anyone else in my family in ensuring the food I’m eating is good and fine for the baby. Besides educating them myself, I feel that they should all go and visit the Gynae tgt with me- so the gynae can educate them as well haha.

TapFluencer

Perhaps bring her to your next gynae visit and ask the gynae to clarify in her presence. Would do that if I were you, because I’m a little mischievous. :p

VIP Member

For me, I googled and asked gynae to find out if what they said were real. The donts in your list seem OK to me though.

5y ago

Yeah exactly! The DONTS on my list were foods that I googled to triple ensure they are good food to have during pregnancy, which is why I’m shocked when the elders just rejected whatever I verified is good 😫

Just turn on a deaf ear.. need not argue with them.. since u already know which is the right thing to eat/not

5y ago

That’s right, the only downside is I can’t do what I’m comfortable with at home since I’m staying with my MIL and I don’t wanna get nag for haha. Thanks for the kind advice !

You shouldn't put too much faith in them. Sometimes their advice has no scientific basis.

5y ago

Agree! Ultimately I will still fall back to my Gynae for the best advice 👍🏻

I ask my husband to tackle it. I will kindly info her that all food is clear by gynae.

5y ago

Yeah, when I told them Gynae give the green light to eat...they will say “western doctors don’t know anything” 🤦🏻‍♀️

My doctor tell me everyday at least drink 1..5l water....

5y ago

See...that’s why I don’t understand the type of DONTS from them 🤦🏻‍♀️