Rant

I had arguments with my mom as there are a lot of restrictions due to superstitious. She is always telling me that I am not allowed to sew things, not allowed to eat this or that and even not allowed to travel out of Singapore as it would cause harm to the baby when she is born. Even when I told her that I had checked with the gynae regarding travelling by taking cruise or even to JB, she would say that the gynae is too young and which is why they will say it is okay. I cannot understand her mindset. The food she doesn't allow me to eat even includes soy milk and she told me that I can only eat apple or pear because the other fruits are either too heaty, too cooling or will cause baby to have phlegm when born. She doesn't allow me to drink cold drinks as well, saying it will cause the baby to have weak lungs or asthma. Additionally, she says soy milk will cause the baby to have phlegm when born, and bird nest is too cooling for the body. To be honest, I know that she cares which is why she restricts but her list of restriction is far beyond my expectations, and then will continue to say it is because of me being a young mom which results my irresponsibility of taking care of myself during pregnancy period. I had told her that I tried to avoid raw food or anh food that cause uterus contractions as what my gynae had recommended. But to her, she will always say I only believe in the doctor, but not her when she has given birth before. ?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I understand. My mom is also superstitious in some ways. Raw foods definitely have to be avoid. - Bacteria. Too much cooling stuffs will affect baby’s lung in the future. A lot of mummies will avoid it too. Cold drinks, can drink but in moderation. Sewing / hammering/ renovation etc , prolly they have seen mummies back then and went thru hard ship. Must have some reason. That’s why can be quite paranoid and concerned. Some mummies ok with renovation. But not all which I aware of. You can travel, but need gynae approval. Also depends how bad is your morning sickness. Usually gynae won’t recommend travel during 3rd trim only. Enjoy your pregnancy, don’t worry too much. The things you can’t do, let others do it for you 😂😂

Read more

It is normal for our mothers to behave this way because they feel what they know and been through was probably the best. It also differs from each mummy's body. Everything in moderation is perfectly fine. If you are tight down due to the older generation superstitious, you might be missing out a lot during this pregnancy. You can sit down and speak to your mum nicely. Yes maybe just avoid those sewing or hammering because you are exerting force so let others do it for you. I've also travelled during my 2nd trimester to Taiwan and went JB to buy baby stuff but my parents were with me thru these trips so they were more assured. Stay happy and try to talk to her/them nicely.

Read more

My Husband side family is the same. To me as long as I cleared with gynae and things make logically sense then I will just proceed - explains the reason why they hardly comment on me anymore Cos maybe I don’t really listen >< Most of their restrictions are base on their own assumptions and hearsay. I know it’s frustrating but on positive side, she care a lot for baby too. Hang on there and enjoy ur pregnancy!

Read more
VIP Member

I always believe in happy mummy, happy everything. Yes i even had some salmon sashimi, soft boiled eggs n medium well steak. These perhaps good to avoid. But other food honestly just eat what u want that makes u happy. I just went ahead and ate what i wanted in moderation, went overseas twice, helped fixing up stuff in my house etc. Of cos everything turned out well.

Read more

My mom has the same behaviour as well... i think they just worried... dont get overwhelmed with it

It’s your baby. Tell her not to get involved too much.

It’s your life, not hers.

Super Mum

Hugs. I am facing similar with you to lesser extent. I won’t argue anymore cause there’s no way to win such argument. I try to take some time apart to cool down after such arguments. Follow as much as possible / want and workaround her restrictions. My parents understandably more cautious cause baby is precious but sometimes feel like they still treat us like kids when restrict us so much.

Read more

Ur mom also concern on u. So do it behind her hahahhaha...