Conflicted, any suggestions will help

I'm expecting a child and staying with my parents. I really cannot tolerate my mom's emotional abuse as she will bring up the past and thinks she is always right. She expects a yes answer for the questions she asks. As such, I end up quarelling with her which I feel is no good for the child. Yet I can't move into my parents in law place because their house is messy and not conducive for my pregnancy and post pregnancy recovery. Neither can we move into a government pphs scheme as my husband need to take care of his unwell parents. We have tried for HDB SBF and BTO for a few times but without success. While we are planning for a resale, renovations cannot be done during pregnancy as far as I understand (pan tang). Please give some suggestions thank you

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Emotional abusers usually do not realise what they are doing to others and it becomes a habit for them to talk in that way. Tell them honestly and respectfully that they are abusing you emotionally and affecting your mental health. If your mom still doesn’t realise or accept this, your best escape would get a resale or temporary rent your own place like others have suggested. Don’t think too much. Pregnancy is not the time to get stressed out.

Read more
Super Mum

I think emotional abuse is more scary than any pan tang with regards to renovations. I had reno done when I was pregnant, moved in when I was 4 months pregnant and cleaned set up my home (I was working too) till I delivered. Been 4 and a half years of joy, with 2 kids and a loving husband. Just my suggestion.. if you can get the resale flat, just renovate and move out.

Read more
VIP Member

I'm considering to renovate and make partition to my place. Currently 3 months pregnant. I think mental health is much more important than pan tang. Tell you baby that you're going to renovate and be careful around as renovation area is dangerous (nails, painting smell etc).

I bought and renovate my resales flat during my pregnancy, nothing went wrong and i delivered my healthy boy. Most importantly is my newborn has a healthy environment to go up, rather than stuck in a toxic environment (for me is my inlaw place).

Given no choice, buy resale and get it renovated. If you 'pantang' then don't step into the house while renovating and moving in, ie move in when everything is done. Alternatively, rent a unit.

VIP Member

Check with other relatives if they are able to accommodate meanwhile. Otherwise renting would be your next best option.

Toxic mom is worse than MIL. Maybe try renting first?