Conflicted, any suggestions will help

I'm expecting a child and staying with my parents. I really cannot tolerate my mom's emotional abuse as she will bring up the past and thinks she is always right. She expects a yes answer for the questions she asks. As such, I end up quarelling with her which I feel is no good for the child. Yet I can't move into my parents in law place because their house is messy and not conducive for my pregnancy and post pregnancy recovery. Neither can we move into a government pphs scheme as my husband need to take care of his unwell parents. We have tried for HDB SBF and BTO for a few times but without success. While we are planning for a resale, renovations cannot be done during pregnancy as far as I understand (pan tang). Please give some suggestions thank you

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Emotional abusers usually do not realise what they are doing to others and it becomes a habit for them to talk in that way. Tell them honestly and respectfully that they are abusing you emotionally and affecting your mental health. If your mom still doesn’t realise or accept this, your best escape would get a resale or temporary rent your own place like others have suggested. Don’t think too much. Pregnancy is not the time to get stressed out.

Read more