Husband and I have joint accounts since married. We always tend to quarrel over monetary issues. I closed my personal accounts while he kept his as he used that for his personal business dealings. Fine about it. But we just couldnt help but to always quarrel. Nt tt we are earning very minimal, combined income about close to 10k. We don spend on luxury goods or cars, however the spending seems huge and lead to big quarrel. Really hate it. Feels like im gonna go into depression mode. Preg with no2 in my 28 weeks. Feeling irritated and annoyed! ???

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Maybe you can suggest an alternative arrangement with your husband: set up a joint savings account and each commit to contributing a fixed sum each month into it to build up your savings which both of you can view and monitor. This joint acct can be used for rainy days/family holidays. But each have a separate account which your salary gets credited into, and you each manage your own expenses. So long as each contributes an agreed fixed sum into the savings acct every month, what you spend on privately shouldn't matter. Consider that :) My husband and I have had this arrangement since we started planning for marriage. I'll transfer whatever bonuses too into this joint savings besides a fixed sum each month but of course if he wants to spend on big ticket items like tv etc, we have to discuss and agree on it together first.

Read more

Some women will say best to always have private savings. Some (like myself) subscribe to the belief of where ur treasure (money) is, there ur heart is also. I think best is still communication and trust. There's trust issues here, not money issues. Did u all discuss abt how much money u all each have to spend? It's not abt just having an account but also to have the same agreement and understanding how much money u intend to spend and save otherwise joint and no joint got no diff. Either may feel the other is anyhow spend money or doing something to the money when here I am trying to save etc. So communicate. If u all can't agree abt budgets (because some pple don't want to be restraint), then best not to have joint account otherwise will always quarrel over useless stuff and end up big issue

Read more

If you are also earning an income why don't you keep your personal account for your salary to be credited into it? You can both put in a pre agreed amount into the joint account . Actually why does he need to question why you need the money when he also draws the money from joint account for his business dealings. I meant we never know right maybe the withdrawal may not be for business. My point is since you trust him with the money he should do the same and between a couple there should be open communication about money

Read more

maybe is best to keep your personal account. Money issues can lead to dissolution of marriage if not handed properly. If there is a big spending coming up, is best to have a family meeting to discuss it so that it won't lead to quarrels. Sometimes is good to be business-like when it comes to money issues. Oh yes if your spending "seems huge" and you don't know the root cause, you might have a problem. Having a good understanding of your family finances can help improve family harmony.

Read more

I suggest for you both to have an account each individually and a joint account. If you want to have own savings its better to have a personal account. Just my opinion.

VIP Member

should not close your personal account . After all a woman always need some back up saving 😑

VIP Member

why don't you have your own personal account back? It's good to have a own account.

7y ago

I tried to withdraw more to have bit of own savings. Yet he says that he is doubtful of my actions why do i have to keep money. If i need money i can withdraw or use anytime and he dislike the way i withdraw and keep! 🙄