What's the best way to prepare puree? Prepare in bulk and freeze or prepare freshly everyday? If I freeze them, what's the right way to thaw it? Lastly, what steamer and blender do you use? Thank you mummies and daddies!

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I am a SAHM for this half a yr but preparing in bulk is definitely a life saver otherwise u will find urself in an almost endless cycle of preparing and blending and cleaning up and attending to baby. I steam the traditional way in a bowl in a pot of water (I use induction cooker so it's v fast to heat up actually) and handheld blender. All components are fast and easy to rinse thru - that's why I didn't buy any of those steam/blend combo machines. Freezing does not affect the nutrients of the food if kept well - ziplock/sealed container - it can also last up to 3 months but best to use within a month. I just put he frozen cube in the milk storage container n into the bottle warmer to thaw/heat it up while I prepare baby and other stuff to feed him

Read more

For me I tried to use avent blender to make purée for my gal initially. It was difficult as the portion is so small that the food can't reach the blades to blend properly. In the end I steam the food until it is very soft and then I use a wooden mashing stick and a Strainer to make the purée. I bought the pigeon food maker. The avent blender is actually good if huh are preparing bigger portions of food but for me I don't like to freeze food for my gal as I am afraid of contamination in the fridge so I don't prepare in bulk at all.

Read more
7y ago

I had the exact same concerns

If you are working, preparing the purees in bulk could be a lifesaver so you can just thaw naturally them as soon as you get home, while you work on other chores or tend to baby. If you have the time, obviously it'll be ideal to prepare them freshly. The Philips Avent SCF870/21 Combined Baby Food Steamer and Blender is a great way to cut preparation time in half -- you can steam and blend using one machine. Less prep time, less clean up time too :)

Read more
Post reply image

I prep weekly and freeze for baby's caregiver to feed her on weekdays. Using covered ice cube trays or qubies. I thaw using the pigeon bottle warmer which comes with a green insert for warming up foods at 70 deg. Much quicker than waiting for it to thaw by itself! I use normal pot to steam over the stove. Blender is a magic bullet, quick n effective.

Read more

If I'm puréeing a beet I will boil it first. And then purée it. I store the purée in the freezer for about a week or less. I will thaw it by placing it in a room at room temperature. To steam I place it in a natural pot with hot water and a strainer above. And to blend I find blendtec and the vitamix work well.

Read more

Puree ing in bulk or not depends very much on mummy's lifestyle . I'm a SAHM , as much as I tried to produce fresh for my boy, it is not easy... some days he will take pre made puree too. I'm using avent 4in1 blender

VIP Member

I m a wking mom. Usually every sunday i will cut all my fruits and vegetable n put in a container to cook daily. There4; Every morning i prepare fresh puree for my lo. I am using 4-in-1 Avent.

Post reply image