We are trying to eat healthily and also introduces more variety of food. But I find our monthly expenditure has doubled due to this and we can't afford really. Is it true that for lower income families, you cannot eat healthy? We added brown rice and more fruits to our diet. At times, we buy organic too. But the prices are very expensive as compared to eating simply and not much variety.

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Organic food can be more expensive due to the way it is grown. I won't say that organic food is more for Pple who can afford. There are many online food stores eg NTUC or open taste which always have promotion on their organic items. Brown rice is healthy but it will take longer time to digest. I usually mix with white rice to give a more balance meal. If u go to farms in cck area, they will have a bazaar where they encourage Pple to eat well and healthily. The food are not expensive and are v fresh. Health comes with cost but having said that, a healthy body is a happy person and u are saving on ur medical bills :)

Read more
VIP Member

you don't really need organic food, just buy from a good source like your usual market place, supermarket like ntuc/cold storage,check out on their promos. online shopping like redmart have good quality food and great pricing too. brown rice is good, you can also alternate with noodles, pasta. I spend roughly $50 a week on groceries cooking for me and my kid only and we eat same food.

Read more

I only get organic food for those items that I know is more prone to pesticides reside on it. The rest I just get normal food (traditional grown,not GMO products) to balance the cost. I normally buy the amount that I need but buy more frozen fish and seafood during promotion as they can store longer. Lastly, I make sure we have more colours of vegetables than meat.

Read more
VIP Member

i will buy from market instead of ntuc. sometimes its slightly cheaper. and healthier doesnt mean must be organic. your way of cooking also makes a big difference. you can introduce more steam stuff and cook soup. when you buy meat or fish, let them know the price range that you are looking for. that will also helps you to budget your purchase.

Read more
VIP Member

I know what you mean, organic food costs more...even when eating out at malls, fast food cost less than other options. My tip is to buy more local vegs and fruits. Fruits from Australia/Nz are usually safe to buy non-organic due to their farming culture, so you can get non-organic Aussie /nz apples instead of organic ones.

Read more

U may just 1 2 buy non organic food as organic food are usually vwry pricey. You can just add fruits and vegetables to yr normal diet. This shouldn't be too expensive. Look out for promotion at the various supermarkets or get it from market place whichay be cheaper.

Read more

I get organic food for my kids. But not for us. It can get too pricey for everyone to have organic food. Alternatively, you may want to change the way you cook instead. More towards steam, soup and boil rather than you fry. Cook healthily instead?

VIP Member

to save cost. just buy fresh from the market. myself and family we brought up that way. my lo also follow.

Get fresh food whenever possible. Avoid canned, preserved or frozen food. Need not necessarily be organic.

No need to buy organic. Steam or boil or bake food is more healthy than frying