20 Replies

You definitely need to drink more water. And if you are breastfeeding you need to drink ALOT more water! Not drinking water is an old wives tale. And if your nanny says don’t drink water, just drink red dates tea and soups, you have to assert yourself as the employer to say you WILL BE drinking water, and she can prepare red date tea as supplement. Don’t give in, it’s really important for breastfeeding. I have friends who listened to their nanny and really regret it when their supply is v low. The starting period is important to get your supply up.

VIP Member

The part about drinking lesser water is to prevent water retention. I see it as drinking less plain water. So you can still drink red date tea (can mix with warm water to dilute if it’s too sweet), confinement soups, hot drinks like milo, horlicks, oat milk etc to boost your fluid intake and breast milk. You will also perspire a lot if you are eating confinement food so you need to drink more fluids. Hope it helps!

Not OP. But drinking less water does not prevent water retention. Infact if u hv water retention, must drink up more. :/

I'm the OP (original poster) . So how do I convince my MIL that I should drink more water? I'm staying with her and she is very traditional. I did casually talked to her about some practices after child birth and she just shoot me down.

VIP Member

Definitely more!! You need to keep yourself hydrate and even more if you’re breastfeeding!! Lack of water can cause little supply for breastfeeding!! During confinement I drank lotsa of red date tea and water!

Super Mum

Please keep yourself well hydrated! Just drink as per normal there's no need to drink extra water but hydration is important not only for your breast milk production but for your own health and recovery too.

VIP Member

i drank lots of water for milk production (on top oats and soups) and to counter my fluid retention. dont see why you need to drink less tho. you need to be well hydrated.

Super Mum

You need to drink a lot of fluid (soup water whatever) in order to have breast milk. And u need to drink fluid to prevent water retention too

Super Mum

Nono.. please drink a lot of water and fluids. You need it for breastmilk production, to prevent constipation, kidney stones, etc.

VIP Member

I drank loads of red date tea. We need to stay hydrated to make sure that we have sufficient breast milk!

Drink lesser of plain water but more red dates tea, milo, chicken essence, rice & ginger tea.

Related Questions

Trending Questions

Related Articles