Mummies, how often did you exercise post delivery? Many mums are too busy breastfeeding or with other chores to even spare time to exercise.

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

With some planning and sharing of workload, it is quite possible to squeeze some time (and energy) out for a workout session. For example, have a cleaning schedule for the family (great guide here: http://www.livingwellspendingless.com/2014/02/18/create-cleaning-schedule-works/). Create one that fits your family (which I suppose is between you and your partner now), would doing a bit every day work or spending some time over the weekend for chores be more suitable? Divide (the chores) and conquer! Having the schedule will get the chores out of the way and one less thing to think about. Also, when your baby's feeding schedule is more routine, it will be easier to plan and manage your time. I personally feel that having a plan written out makes things clearer. Having everything in the head just makes it seemed as though the day is very cluttered with many things to be completed. Not sure if it will work for you. Give it a try and see how it goes? Get your hubby to help look after the baby and also with the chores. It is important to have some time out for yourself even if it is not to exercise. Take care!!

Read more

I was working out 4x a week doing sports prior to pregnancy and only did prenatal yoga during, so I was really excited to go back to my exercise regimen after my daughter was born. Unfortunately, I went back to my regular trainings too early (at 3 months, I thought my body was ready but apparently it wasn't) and too rigorously so I got myself injured a couple of times. I'd advise to prioritise sleep and healthy eating and letting your body heal fully before putting in the effort to squeeze in workout sessions. When you feel that you're really ready, just do light walks, jogs, swims, yoga sessions for half an hour or so, and build up as your baby grows and becomes more independent, giving you more time to do things for yourself.

Read more

Give it at least six weeks A general rule would be to wait for at least six weeks after delivery before taking up workout programmes other than walking, which is a good way to ease back into exercise. Avoid sit-ups, running or aerobic exercises, until your uterus has returned to its normal size and the pelvic floor has recovered. Vigorous exercise may strain your pelvic floor muscles and cause incontinence or prolapse if you start too soon. Work on pelvic floor muscles first However, you can begin exercises that strengthen pelvic floor muscles whenever you feel ready after giving birth. They help reduce the likelihood of leaks during exercise. At least 3x a week would be good.

Read more

I do not exercise after giving birth as I am too occupied with kids during daytime. After settling kids into their bed at night, I am just too exhausted to do anything else. I normally choose to walk to nearby shopping mall with my kids and I feel it is a form of exercise too (brisk walking). When my kids are older e.g. primary school levels, I will join community centres' yoga, pilates, and etc.

Read more

I started seriously working out at 6 months. By then my son had a dependable feeding schedule. It became much easier once I weaned him off breastmilk at 8 months. Theres never enough time but you just have to squeeze it in. I prefer working out in the mornings to get it out of the way and he's usually busy with breakfast, bath etc so I can slip away without feeling guilty!

Read more

MY friends squeeze in workout sessions after putting their babies to sleep. Quick tababta or interval training or sometimes if the husband is still awake, a night jog. Help them to de-stress. You can also try this: https://www.facebook.com/129711433743670/videos/943258245722314/ You baby will make an excellent resistance training "buddy". ;)

Read more

From what i remember, i have not gone to gym since I became a mum. However, i change my pattern like take public transporation than driving. I did T 25 when i have time. I do believe that if you can not go to gym you will be able to find solution for exercise.

thanks