Does kegel exercise, really help in a normal delivery??How often should it be done?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Kegel exercise, or pelvic floor exercise, aims to strengthen muscles that support the uterus, bladder and bowels. They also help to strengthen vaginal muscles. This exercise helps in pregnancy by helping the mother develop her ability to control these muscles that are used during labour and delivery. There is also an added advantage of minimizing decreased bladder control and hemorrhoids commonly associated with pregnancy. Here are the steps to doing Kegel Exercise: (taken from http://americanpregnancy.org/labor-and-birth/kegel-exercises/) 1. Locate your kegal muscles. There a few ways - You can insert a finger into the vagina, and try to squeeze the muscles surrounding it. Or you can practice stopping the flow of urine when urinating. (However, you don’t want to do this too often during urination because it can actually weaken the muscles over time and/or increase your chance of a urinary infection.) 2. Once you have located your pelvic floor muscles, contract these muscles for 5-10 seconds, then relax, repeating 10-20 times. (Make sure to empty your bladder before doing your Kegals!) 3. Breathe normally during the exercises, and do this at least three times a day. 4. Try not to move your leg, buttocks, or abdominal muscles during the exercises. You can perform this exercise anytime and anywhere. And here’s an article on the common mistakes ladies make when performing this exercise. Prevent making these mistakes for better results: http://www.intimina.com/blog/8-kegel-mistakes/

Read more

Kegel exercise is more for the benefits of bladder control during and after pregnancy by strengthening the pelvic floor muscles, i.e. prevent leaking of urine. I did kegel exercises for both pregnancies. I think to some extend it helps me to control from pushing the baby out before gynae able to reach the labor room.

Read more
VIP Member

It helps to strength the muscles after vaginal delivery due to the stretching. It helps to enhance the sexual experience between u and your husband and prevent urine incontinence

Yes! However I did it only after I delivered. To add on to the list the moms above provided, it also helps enhance sexual intercourse for both you and your husband.

thanks