Husband bonding with baby

Husband keeps saying our LO dont like him, as she would sometimes cry when he feeds her or when he tries to comfort her. How? He also gets very unhappy when people take her away from him when he tries to soothe her. Sigh! I kept telling him not to think that way. But I don’t want him to feel like that...

17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Babies cry for many reasons, and take time to learn to be comforted. They only have one mode of communication - crying. Heh. So it’s not that baby doesn’t like him. It just takes time. It may be easier for mummy to comfort baby because of the familiarity. But try not to take baby away from your husband as soon as baby cries? Give him at least 15 minutes to try to comfort baby. He can change his holding pattern, talk to baby, play with baby, and get baby familiar with him. This helps everyone in the long run too:) My husband used to have difficulty in calming my baby when she was younger too, even though he was super hands on. He just persisted, and my daughters love him sooooo much.

Read more

Let your husband know that baby below 7yrs old are dependent on thier mothers which are absolutely normal. And when they reach 7yrs above this the time they wana explore the world and that daddy will come in to the picture and he will be very bz.. Tell ur hub not that baby don't like him, maybe it's the scent that baby prefer, which is mummy smell.. Tell your hub she's inside your tummy for 9months, it's normal baby prefer u over him. Encourage him when he make the effort to feed or care for Baby. Or enlighten him maybe certain angle or position baby prefer to. That what I tell my husband recently. I feel his a bit jealous my girl are abut sticky to me

Read more

Give him more hands on.lethim know that sometime when you or other caregiver handle LO ,LO cry too. LO cry has nothing against him. As a mum i did experienced that as well. Instead of taking baby over from him when LO cry. Teach him how to do it. Onlytake over when husband willing ask u for help. Let him try to pacifyLO till he finally get baby to calm down this will boost his confidence

Read more
VIP Member

I can understand why he feels that way. It takes time and effort to bond with a baby and to know their likes and dislikes. Encourage him to spend time with your LO more by feeding/changing the diapers/playing with her and stop the people from carrying your LO away from him. It just reinforces the negative experience for your husband and baby.

Read more

Why take baby away from him? That’s depriving him of the chance to bond with baby. Sure, baby will cry but the only way it gets better is to persevere until baby gets used to and familiar with him. Even for mothers it works the same like how we took over from nannies.

VIP Member

Let him try! Don't take baby away from him. E.g. even for mums, if baby cries, we find all means and ways to calm baby down. If take baby away, the chance to bond and learn and gone.

Hi, It is a normal feeling but try talking to your husband about it and also make your LO spend more time with the father. This will for sure help in increasing the bond

Ask him lovingly to chill. He can only anything when the baby is big enough to share the feelings. At such early stage it’s his assumptions

VIP Member

Ask your husband up interact more with your LO. There are different phases in parenthood so don't come to a conclusion so soon(:

My husband faces this issue too! He’s trying to carry & play more with LO but it’s still currently a Work-in-progress...