less than 1 month old

My bb is less than 1 month old . I need to bring to polyclinic for his jaundice check every once a week . By right Its not advisable to even bring bb go out at this stage but I got no choice cause he needs to . I put him in a pram n use a swaddle to cover . I got to cover right? My husband thinks I'm too over protective . Say baby cant see outside .

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Erm, Singapore is too warm to cover up, even yourself. If you need to bring baby out, by all means. This is modern days, traditional methods may not work especially in Singapore's climate. Don't need to be over protective. I never covered my kids up nor covered myself up when we go outdoors. Kids are 6 and 8 now and they are as healthy as ever. Hardly sick as babies as well, so do what you feel is comfortable :-)

Read more

Actually there have been news about the dangers of covering up prams with cloth, saying that it actually overheats the inside of the pram instead due to little air circulation, so it seems more dangerous for the baby especially with the SG weather...maybe just cover when in the polyclinic itself where there's aircon and much cooler

Read more
5y ago

Hmm what i hear is that even those thin muslin cloth cause overheating in the pram, so i think really important to ensure good air circulation, the best i think is to just take a taxi to the polyclinic directly to prevent exposure to all the pollution on the road https://www.kidspot.com.au/baby/real-life/in-the-news/warning-the-dangerous-pram-mistake-were-all-making/news-story/7038105c8ec6c2604e581642530ab11f

VIP Member

It’s all about personal preference. I also brought bb out before he turns 1 mth due to jaundice and follow up check ups. Swaddled him and put him into the car seat. Walked under shelter or shaded area. Most importantly, cover his eyes whenever there is sun to protect them.

5y ago

There is no winning or losing. It seems that both of you have very different styles/perceptions of parenting. Perhaps you should sit down and discuss moving forward what can be compromised and what can’t. :)

It depends on individual mommies. For me I just swaddle him. I went almost every few days till he is 2 weeks plus. Some days I used baby carrier even. How you bring him out it doesn't really matter. As long both baby and mummy is comfortable.

Super Mum

What about your in-laws? I am staying with my in-laws and my MIL will surely tell us to cover the baby when we brought baby out for jaundice check. She will nag and nag if we never follow her instructions. Maybe you can get your MIL to talk to him?

5y ago

My in law support him one . All same pattern

VIP Member

Perhaps you can get ‘Kayu Sepang’ from Sinseh. It’s widely used by the Chinese especially. Got to know this from my Chinese friends who recommended to shower the baby using this.

5y ago

I did n he said dun read everything online . My parents n others listen to him cause of him being so damn smart . Wad ever comes out from his mouth it can psychologically brainwash them .

Yes swaddle will do. It’s ok! I bought my less than 1 mth bb to polyclinic too. We took cab back and fro to minimise contact

5y ago

Now I'm like useless cause I got no money . N I dunwan to have any problem with him I tried to be firm but he thinks I'm stubborn . He end up getting angry n piss with me n me always so soft hearted start giving in . He said I like want bb only to myself only i can make decision etc . How like tt . I be firm I get said I stubborn etc .

VIP Member

Swaddle is fine. Don't worry. My baby also goes back to check every other day for his juandice. We swaddle him as well. :)

5y ago

I mean put the swaddle over the pram to cover baby fully . I cant swaddle him cause he sits in the car seat infant pram type . So I use swaddle to cover . But apparently my husband thinks I'm over doing it

Dont need fully cover, he needs air too. Just make sure he wears hat, swaddle him so he will not gets too cold.

5y ago

I scared virus etc get to him tts y I cover.

Hey, I think swaddle is fine. If you cover the pram then it is little difficult for the baby to breathe

5y ago

But got leave abit hole for abit air to go in le .