When do you think is the right time to be a SAHM ?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Disagree with the above comment. In fact being a SAHM is a luxury, even though it is under appreciated. Most importantly spouse must be supportive of each other too. Here is my personal experience: Paternal bond not strong? Disagree. My hubby bond will my son more after I become SAHM because he gets to see us every night. When I was FTWM, my son was placed with MIL before I left for work, and then my husband will be back home, sleeping alone in the house. Yes I was working shift and if we are lucky still can "Hi bye" at the house door. The times that he look after our son alone at night is only once in a long while. Only during my off day is the luxury to sleep with both of them at night. What kind of different expectation? It depends how realistic you are and knowing what to give up when deciding to stay at home. No need to compare with friends if you know whats your priority in the first place. When I was FTWM, even housework, child caring and expenses are not shared equally. He only help out laundry when he was out of job a short period. That was 4 years ago. But its a blessing that we still can get along although once in a long while I do get inbalance. There is nothing wrong seeing why father has to work. The more should educate them if dont work, no money. No money, where got food and clothes. Speak up for each other in front of the kids. I bring my son to fetch his daddy too. And he will understand that daddy is not having fun.

Read more

If given a choice, it should be avoided in Singapore because is too financially stressful. If there is one less income, it meant that the father have to work harder and less time for the children. (Paternal bond won't be strong) The housewife gets disconnected with work life and have different expectation from the husband. Coupled with social media and some unrealistic expectation of working husband, it will be a melting pot. If both are working and share the housework equally then they can be more understanding to each other plight and seek a common understanding. It is in the welfare of the children to see both parents as equal, they are too young to understand why father have to go to work and etc.

Read more

No right time. If u can afford then be SAHM. A child's first 6 years are really formative foundation and it's best u do it urself. Others feel like from 2 or 3 kids onwards. No right no wrong On top of that, I think u should be open to the fact that not everyone is cut out to be sahm. I didn't know I am not until I tried

Read more
VIP Member

there is no right or wrong time to be a sahm. It's about weighing out the pros & cons and financial stress and burden. need to sit down and talk to your partner over it as there will be a lot of changes towards the lifestyle

Read more

There is no right time. it totally depends on whether you are able to be a stay home mom. If it's within your families capacity.

There will never be a right time. You just do it or have to do it. No two ways about it. Being mentally prepared maybe helpful.

0 - 18 months. thereafter, bb goes to playgroup i can start looking for p/t job.

When u have mentally adjusted ur spending habits