Oscar vs harmony test - which should I go for? Price diff is substantial!

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

my 2 cents - If you are below 35 - the risk of down syndrome is very low (1/1200), so you can do oscar first, and only if you have an unfavourable result then go for harmony to confirm (since oscar is 99% accurate only). If you are above 35, go straight to harmony since you run a higher risk (1/350, higher if you are older) - i.e. even if you have a good oscar result, you might still be worried it is wrong (99% accuracy), you might as well have the peace of mind and get a 100% confirmed harmony test result straight a way, if the cost is not prohibitive to you

Read more
VIP Member

Actually you need to ask yourself if you intend to keep the baby should there be any abnormalities. If you do not intend to keep baby should there be abnormalities, then do the tests. Otherwise, no point. Harmony is about $1,300 and tests for Down syndrome, Edwards syndrome, Pataus syndrome, Turners syndrome and gender. You can test from week 10 onwards. And is available for twins and donor eggs. If you are at high risk for any of the above then it's preferable to do a Harmony test. Oscar is about $500.

Read more

Subsidised rates for my cousin @ KKH: Oscar@$170+ Harmony@$225 in April 2019. I went for my first scan and counselling a few days back and the relatively new counsellor (worked just a few months) confirmed that theres no subsidies for Harmony and price fixed @ $750 since she started working, even when i told her my cousin’s Harmony rate was subsidised. The difference of $525 is huge... not comparing with private rates. Not sure what had change that Harmony is not subsidised anymore 🤢🤢

Read more

I went for the oscar testing at subsidized rate at KKH. Paid about S$180. Harmony test has no subsidy i believe - so the price diff is really huge in my case.

I also have this test next week. we only have option for Harmony which is 99.6 % accurate. Given that information. I would try that.

VIP Member

Oscar is definitely cheaper than the Harmony test. If you are at risk, the gynae will recommend that you take the Harmony test.

I did both at kkh (subsidised) as both are different in nature. Oscar is $173 and harmony is $750.

I did my Harmony test last week at KKH @ $1000. Heard TMC is about $1,300

thanks

Harmony. If you want 99.6 percent accuracy.