Helper leave days

Is it a must to let my helper go on off on Public Holidays?

26 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Don't think so it is a must but if your helper really is a great help to you, why not? You can either allow her to go out or else can let her stay home without doing things that day. Not all helpers are appreciative so if you are giving them an off day, do also educate them that this is a bonus given to them and not a requirement, so that, they can learn how to appreciate your kindness.

Read more

It is not necessary but it would be a bonus. Or else, you can allow her to rest at home instead of letting her go out. This is also an option where some employers do to reward their helper for their hard work. If she is good, I feel that she deserve a break too. In this way, you can also bond with your child or children.

Read more
8y ago

Ok, thanks for the info!

The Ministry of Manpower only states that your helper is entitled to 1 off-day in a week and a 14-day of home leave upon the completion of 2 years of service. Given this, no it's not a must to give them a holiday on public holidays but it's really up to you.

VIP Member

Not a must, so u better check their criteria before hiring them. Some maids wants to earn more, dont want off so they ask for salary instead of off. But it stated on MOM to give them 1 day off per week. So nego with ypur new helper. :)

VIP Member

Ask your helper if they would want to take it on the public holiday itself or some other weekend. For my helper. She prefer to take it on a Sunday instead of public holiday as she say it’s more crowded outside.

Not a must, but it would be a nice gesture! Sometimes that's the difference between your helper going the extra mile for you because you'd done the same for them.

I don't think it's mandated to give helpers the public holidays off but you need to agree on that when you sign her on. What is mandated is the every Sundays off.

Yes, it's a must to give her the whole day off. If you want her to work, you certainly should pay her. I'd recommend at least $50, probably more.

VIP Member

It's not a must, but I think it would be an act of kindness if you do. Helpers also need a break, and be able to enjoy a holiday.

VIP Member

According to MOM website, your helper is entitled to 1 off-day in a week and. 14 days of home leave upon 2 years of service