If you could change one thing about your childhood, what would it be?

26 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

If I could change things on my own, I wished that my parents spent more time with me - and be more open to me! I lived with my aunt from the day I was born until I was 7 years old. My parents only visited me 2-3 times a week, each time only to drop by for dinner so I barely had any time with them. As such, I had a big empty hole in my heart because all my other friends had their parents with them - while my parents only gave me the excuse that they were busy working, so I grew up thinking that: 1) I was not worth my parents' time. 2) They were too busy working to care about me at all. 3) My parents had to work really hard so that they could bring me home someday. That hole created an empty space that never got filled up, I ended up not having a very good relationship with my parents - causing a lot of misunderstandings between us. It was only until I got pregnant at 18, and we had a big argument over a tiny issue ... that my dad explained to me that my mum had postnatal depression which was why it took 7 years before they could bring me back home. I can't rewind back time, but that experience made me learn a few things: 1) To spend more time with my son, even more so since I'm a single mum - to try and cover up that hole for him 2) To be open with my son with things even if it may seem too "adult" for him to understand, when the time is right - so he is able to understand and plan out what he needs to do to overcome it, and not be kept in the dark 3) To work harder while my son is young now, so we can spend more time together growing up

Read more
6y ago

Harry Chapin wrote a song, Cats and the Cradle, but don't be like them, you now know what not to be like. My mom's donor died in 2005. I've yet to visit his grave. No regrets

I'd want to be a bit rowdier and more fearless as a kid. I was the typical goody-two shoes, but I was also very easily afraid of trying new things! If I were a little more daring I'd probably be way more experimental with my decisions/choices now and perhaps a bit sassier than I am (or already am 😂).

Read more

Haha the only thing i wish i could change from my childhood was not to throw rubbish out the window like receipts and sweet wrappers 😂😂. It became a guilty pleasure now. I just hope my future kids dont see me as an example

I would defnitely eat healthier lol. And try to develop an exercise habit. IVE PUT ON SO MUCH WEGHT NOW LOL. But in all honesty, i think saving money. Wish I had the habit when I was much much younger!!

VIP Member

to not witness all the s*** my dad did. to not see my mom go thru all the pain and tearful nite.. to not grow up knowing all the facts about the affairs. and to not loose a daddy love.

Super Mum

I was just about to type it out, but I realised that I’m the way I am now because of what I went through. And I like the way I am now even though my childhood was hard for me...

VIP Member

I would listen to my parents more and cause less worry for them. Only when I have become a parent myself do I realise how much anguish and sleepless nights I have given them.

VIP Member

No I don’t want any change of my childhood.. I guess I had left with best memories.. which I don’t hv much after grown up .. wants to go back again :(

VIP Member

I would say learning to understand more about money and learning to control money better

VIP Member

The amount my mum would smack me, even for the smallest of errors :(