Toddler 19M meltdown

I realised my toddler will roll on the floor when she doesn’t get what she wants. She will also scream and kick her legs. Is this normal? How do u deal with it

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yea, meltdowns are developmentally normal and common for toddlers. Personally, I find that I am able to be more calm and patient with my toddler after I read up on the brain science of toddlers (which explains why they have meltdowns). I like to identify what usually triggers my toddler to throw a tantrum, and I will try my best to avoid putting her in that situation. If avoiding it is not possible, then I will try to distract her when she starts screaming. For example, direct her attention to something she likes, or bring her attention to a sound that can be heard in the background (“oh! can you hear the birds chirping / dog barking? Shall we be quiet so we can hear the birds/dog?”), or suggest to sing a song that she likes. If your child finds comfort in hugs, you can cuddle your child. If all else fails, just be patient and let your child release her frustration and calm down.

Read more
VIP Member

As long your child don't hurt himself/ herself(hit head on the floor etc.) during the process while throwing temper tantrum. Suggest to observe him/her from a distance. once child cool down, give him or her soft toy or any soft material to hug and ask if it is the right time to talk about it. have the child to reflect their doings. alternatively, create a soft corner in the house when child display such behavior and talk to him/her when she is ready.

Read more
Super Mum

Meltdowns are very common, because your LO is experiencing more and more complex emotions that overwhelm her. What’s important is to teach your LO how to cope with these emotions in healthy ways, and to comfort her. At a younger age, distracting her with something else helps. As she gets older, talking through the emotions and formulating coping strategies (eg. Counting to 10, expressing her feelings in words, etc) will be good for her

Read more
Super Mum

Tantrums are very common,after 2 years it will only get worse. They are starting to realize they're their own person and can have their own decisions. Its an important step in their development actually. I try to offer other things or distract my daughter when it happens, but most important is to be patient and let her know I'm nearby if she wants me to console her but not to force anything on her

Read more
VIP Member

meltdown is common. hang in there nummy! its normal. my gal also had metldown during that age . its a phase. u would want to calm ur toddler one side and talk to ur toddler nicely and it will be all better :)

It is normal. You have to change child's attention. don't try to scold or punish. You have to be calm first. Then try to calm your child. Talk to child.

TapFluencer

I am going through this now it started around 22 months. I just watch my girl roll and cry till she is done. terrible 2 is real

Got to distract them with something else

Hi, Distracting them really works

Super Mum

ok will try my best to be calm!