My 8 months old girl is driving me crazy. I can't put her down for a sec. She will scream and cry hysterically whenever I put her down. She wants to be carried all the time! What's wrong with her? How do I get her to stop this?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Around 8 months old, the separation anxiety is getting greater as baby is more aware of their surrounding. You can prepare some light activities e.g. pouring water, toys, painting for her to let her occupy herself for a while. Try to put her closer to you if you need to attend to housework. Also, you can babywear her using baby carrier so she can feel more secure and try to ensure her you will be with her always. There was once I left my 2years old son with my mother for few hours, and after I returned from home he was very clingy and cranky for at least 2 to 3 days as he feel insecure (afraid that he can't see me again). This will be just a phase and do not have to worry. Try your best to ensure your daugther you will there.

Read more

Well, your baby must be used to being carried around all the time even when smaller. But you know you have to break the habit. For starters keep her around you close enough that she can see you and hear you. When she cries do not melt and rush to her. Simply look at her and tell her "mummy has work to finish darling. I'll be with you in a bit" Or you can just have a general conversation with her or sing her favourite nursery rhymes. Within a week she will get used to this and her tantrums will reduce or nearly stop. You have to let babies self sooth too. Self-soothing is a very important stage in the baby's development.Do not let them get so attached to you that it becomes difficult when playschool starts.

Read more
VIP Member

Overtired baby is usually clingy and only wants to be carried all the time. I have been to hundreds of families' homes and usually I see this symptoms in babies who are not getting good quality naps and night time sleep. Once they are able to sleep well, you should be able to let her play independently and that's what I am able to do with all 4 of my kids who are well rested from solid naps and good night's sleep.

Read more

Sounds like my son! He's at the stage where he has to always be carried or never left alone even for 1 second and this can get really tiring and frustrating. You can consider babywear your daughter while you do your housework. Or, you can start small.. leave your daughter in the room and keep talking even until you leave the room so that she knows you are still around. Keep doing this and it will slowly get better.

Read more

Perhaps she is having separation anxiety and wants to seek comfort in you. Maybe you can continue to assure her and place her in a place where she can see u while she play and while u do your task

My 4 mos old baby is same, she always cry whenever i put her down, she doesn't want to be away from me. And yes it's frustrating. Its been 3 days now. 😓

Same. Our baby girl 7 months old also keeps wanting to be carried and or hugged. Hang in there!

thanks