Hi my parents in law have been of great help in helping me to take care of my kids as I am a working mum. But my mother in law likes to make noise about how I run the household and also scold my helper when she doesn't do things her way. I don't want my helper to get pissed off at her and am also afraid that she will not want to work for us. Any tips? Should I get my helper to listen to her and do things her way or do things my way?

17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I am assuming that your helper has been great with the family for you to bring up this concern. If I were in your shoes, I would approach my helper separately to explain things to her. Such as how not to take the "scoldings" of your mother-in-law to heart. I think since you are working and she will be there to face your mother-in-law for longer periods of time, it may be alright for her to follow your mother-in-law's instructions (so as not to put her in a spot). But of course, that is if you are alright with your mother-in-law's way of doing things. If your mother-in-law's way is erm.. unreasonable (for lack of a better word), perhaps can then get your husband to speak to her and tell her how you all want things to be done around the house. It is easier for the son to communicate these to his mother to minimize the risk of it becoming a source of conflict. She can be "tasked" to make sure that the helper is following what you and your husband had taught her (instead of your mother-in-law's way). Good help is difficult to find! Hope you find a way around this. :)

Read more

Same situation. Always have to pacify my helper by explaining to her the things ah ma did. If ah ma have her way of doing things, just follow accordingly and do not argue or talk back with her. However if I have my way of doing things, she will have to follow as well afterall I am the paymaster. Knowing that she might be caught in between, she will have to tell me so that I can balance things out. I always explain that this how SG household like especially with ah ma. Just got to be patient and respect ah ma at all times. I will get my hubby to be involve by telling her mum too, good help are hard to come by,scare her by quoting news articles on those cases where helpers lost their sanity,etc.

Read more

You have to talk to your maid that do not take anything she says to heart and do not get bugged. You have to form a secret team with your maid, and in unsaid ways communicate to her that you two are on the same page. Also, you can have a word with you MIL or best is to tell your husband to convey to his mom that it is very difficult to find a good help and if she keeps nagging her, she may leave. And the situation will be very difficult especially for her as she would have to look after the baby and the home all by her own when two of you will be out. I think your husband will be better person to make your MIL understand. So, let him do the talking.

Read more
VIP Member

This is a tricky question as it involves many people directly (you, MIL, helper) and indirectly (children, husband, PIL). You may want to firmly but politely tell your MIL that your helper is hired by you and the standards for the helper are set with you. However, if you are alright with your MIL's standards on your helper, then you can advise your MIL to soften her tone and try a different approach when asking the helper to do tasks. Maybe you could read this for more suggestions on how to handle your MIL: http://sg.theasianparent.com/how-to-keep-interfering-in-laws-in-line/

Read more

Don’t trust anyone it’s sad when your Husband is having an affairs with your best friend, i noticed my he was getting too closer with my friend Abigail. He chats now in private,make secret calls and even changed his phone password, I was wondering what going wrong. I had to look for other alternative until i stumble onto this good recommendation of [email protected] for the hack jobs. He helped in accessing his phone, bypassing the securities and made a clone for me to always access his messages,calls and Gallery. WWW . HACKERSPYVILLE . COM

Read more
Post reply image

Speak to your husband and tell him how important a help is to your household right now, and if she leaves, there will come many issues in your job and stress will automatically be there in your both life as a whole. Tell him to talk to his mother and make her understand not to nag the help and you will give her instructions whatsoever. You can also speak to your maid and take her in confidence and tell her not to mind your MILs behaviour as old people have peculiar problems of being dissatisfied with everything especially with their DILs.

Read more

Whoa ok. All the answers above involve breaking the trust of your marriage for something that could be insignificant. Have you tried asking him? What makes you think he may be doing you wrong? Is there more evidence than him texting someone? To get the Evidence why not Signup and see What is right and what is Wrong. [email protected] Make sure this is the path you wish to follow before you do anything. This could be the end. WWW.HACKERSPYVILLE.COM

Read more
Post reply image

You have to talk with your mother-in-law regarding youer helper, tell her that she has to treat this poor lady like a decent person regardless of the situation. You can always overtake the authority in your household in a subtle way that she will not be offended, like compromising. If she wants to do this you can say "oh that's a good idea but i really really wanna do this but we can do that some other day, can you help me?" You can do it sister!

Read more
4y ago

I was in a similar situation. After sharing my concerns with my mil it became worst. She became emotional, didn't want to acknowledge my presence for 2 weeks. After i had my child in her presence when such bad conflicts happens she would tone it down a notch to the helper. Grandma has to set a good example in a child's eyes...

I would suggest to allow your husband to do the talking. You wouldnt want her to feel upset even further. Old ppl they tend to be more vulnerable and sensitive and they might take it the wrong way esp if the daughter in law is the one who is voicing it out. Bt if your MIL is more understanding and open to criticsm and advice i dont see no harm for you to highlight some points. Cheers!

Read more

Im using this opportunity to recommend a very good man. A man who helped me when i really needed his services, the only one who delivered rightly and didn’t fail me, He even delivered within a very short period of time. — He has hacked into my fiancé WhatsApp message and I can see the text messages just like the free demo. Contact [email protected] WWW . HACKERSPYVILLE .COM

Read more
Post reply image