Breastfeeding

Everytime I breastfeed my LO the jaundice level will go up. Any help? Isit really because of the different blood type or I having too much ginger food?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Just to share my lo was born at 2.2kg only and she has jaundice. It increased after we were discharged and had her first follow up. I just continue to breastfeed her. It will eventually go down. Just make sure you feed lo as per demand so he/she can pee oftenly. & when she was about 1.5months old, it was gone already. Most importantly as well that you do the baby liver test and if all is well, don't give up breastfeeding 👍 Hope it helps!

Read more
VIP Member

Same! I got ABO incompatibility too so baby jaundice is stubborn. After 1 month plus, I tried not to feed bm the day b4 her jaundice test and amazingly she passed. Could be coincidental too.

VIP Member

Yes taking ginger or alcohol will affect the jaundice level. Please avoid both before you are breastfeeding your lo.

4y ago

I always waited for few hours before I pump out the milk and feed the baby but the jaundice level still go up. Why?

Super Mum

How old is baby? Shouldn’t be a bloodtype incompatibilty because the would have tested that at birth

4y ago

The most common 2 reasons for neonatal jaundice are: 1. Breastfeeding jaundice 2. Breastmilk jaundice For breastfeeding jaundice, the amount that baby drinks, especially initially when your milk supply can’t meet the demand, is inadequate. More feeding is required so baby can poop more, and the jaundice can improve. If you don’t have enough milk, top up with formula milk. For breastmilk jaundice, baby’s liver is still maturing, and so it takes a longer time to break down things and get rid of the bilirubin. For the above 2 reasons, continue breastfeeding, and top up with formula milk. If the jaundice persists after 2-3 weeks, they’ll perform a direct bilirubin test on baby. If the levels are normal, then it’s likely one of the above 2 reasons, and you can just continue feeding and waiting for the levels to gradually drop (can take about a month). If the levels are high (uncommon), then they may refer you to the PD in the hospital for further tests. Since most breastfed babies usua

VIP Member

Maybe you can reduce ginger intake until your baby jaundice level goes down

Ya, reduce ginger intake.. I did that to reduce his jaundice level..

Yes reduce ginger. Baby liver don’t know how to filter herb yet

VIP Member

Yes, reduce ginger and alcohol intake. Drink more water

VIP Member

try reduce ginger, drink more water

Drink more water