Different blood type from baby, can breastfeed?

My baby and I have different blood types - I'm an O+ and she's a B+. Her jaundice is quite bad, at 298 yesterday and I've only fed her formula so far. But now that my milk has come in, I want to breatfeed her. Is it safe for her? Will it get rid of her jaundice? Or should I do both breastfeed and give her formula. Please advice, I want her to come home from phototherapy 😔

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Blood type has nothing to do with breastfeeding. It's definitely alright to continue doing so. You're already doing great! My baby had jaundice too till 250 and went for phototheraphy when he was in the special care nursery. Phototherapy is better than sunlight which is a myth and has no effect on reducing jaundice. Because my baby was born premature, it took roughly 2 months for the jaundice to clear. PD says to keep feeding him no matter with breastmilk or formula so he can flush out the bilirubin. He's a mix feed baby from birth till today. You can feed both BM & FM no problem. Just keep feeding as long as baby wants and follow her cues.

Read more

Hi mama! Yes. My boy and I have different blood type too! I bf him until he is cleared of jaundice. Just remember to keep feeding her every 3hrly. Jaundice babies sleep a lot. So you need to wake her up to feed her. If your baby is undergoing phototherapy, do moisturise her more when she’s back at home! To prevent dryness in her skin and also to prevent her from getting bad eczema.

Read more

Continue to breastfeed is good for the bb antibodies. It will for sure rid jaundice from her. Cos it happen to my boy too

I dont think there is an issue to breastfeed if the blood type is different though. Hope ur baby can go back to u soon!

Different blood type you still can breastfeed your baby