Jaundice

My baby blood group and my blood group is not the same. She is having jaundice. Should i stop breastfeeding her?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Please don’t stop. It’s not related to blood type. The most common causes of neonatal jaundice are breastfeeding jaundice (baby doesn’t get enough to drink initially) and breastmilk jaundice (baby’s liver needs more time to mature to break down the breastmilk properly). To solve the first type, baby needs to feed more. So latch on demand. If you don’t have enough, top up with formula. For the second type, just give baby some time and everything will settle:) If jaundice persists beyond 2 weeks, they’ll do a blood test to rule out other causes of jaundice. Both my kids took about a month for their jaundice to go away.

Read more
VIP Member

No. Breastmilk jaundice is not caused by the difference in blood group. You should continue to breastfeed if you have the supply because breastmilk is the best you can give to your baby for now. Breastmilk has other qualities which can strengthen her immunity. You should feed even more consistently and see what the doctor say. If the levels remain high, just go for phototherapy if need be.

Read more