Jaundice 6 week old

Hi Mummies, My little one will hit 6 week old this week but jaundice is still an issue. NUH PD suggested to supplement with formula when I just managed to establish breastfeeding and breastfeed exclusively. I'm not keen to fall back on formula since it took a while for me to get on the momentum of breastfeeding and to have enough supply for baby. Any suggestions on feeding schedule that we can change to help baby clear jaundice faster? I'm currently feeding him 3 hourly, need to wake him up to feed otherwise he will sleep through. We did the blood tests for liver clearance and all the numbers are fine.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hello, my baby had jaundice too and was advised to fm too. But i didnt, i bf my baby fully and as long as the numbers are going down and your baby is gaining weight, your breastmilk are not the cause of the jaundice and you should just continue bf! My baby cleared his jaundice at the 2 week mark.

12mo ago

Just wondering if it is possible to trend downward but then spike after that?

I don’t think it’s of any problem BF, just that you have to watch what you eat. Some things will increase jaundice in babies, so stay clear of those. Try feeding him 2 hourly instead? So that he can pee and poo more often = jaundice will downtrend