Milk Supply

Hi mummies. Any idea how I can boost my milk supply? I’m only a month post partum. Yet my milk supply is getting lesser everyday. Used to breastfeed but baby had jaundice and doctor advised that breast milk might cause jaundice too depending on what mummy eats (especially ginger and red dates). Yikes.. my MIL put lots of ginger in my food to release gas. So I stopped taking ginger and stopped breastfeeding for a while to clear my body of ginger. Gave LO formula. Tried to still pump my milk but then now milk supply is getting way less. Like just 40ml. What can I do to boost my milk supply 🥺

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Option 1: Power Pump every 3hrs 20mins pump 10mins rest 10mins pump 10mins rest 10mins pump Option 2: Take Fenugreek supplement (from GNC also have) to boost lactation. Option 3: Don’t give up and keep on direct latch; supply and demand. Option4: Drink plenty of water, 3L at least. Option 5: Engage a lactation consultant or a masseuse to massage your breast every before pump session. Option 6: Do all of the above and your milk supply will increase tremendously cause I did it with the help of supplements, direct latch on cracked nipples 😣 (pls standby nipple cream, Medela works best for me) and diligently power pump the first week after I got discharged from hospital. My massage lady also helped loosen the knots in my breast for a smoother flow. Now I only pump every 12hrs (cause it’s a real commitment) and my supply is about 200-270ml at 2 weeks post partum. Not so bad I guess as compared to the first few days I only got 10-20ml. I store my EBM in bags of 60-90ml for now. My diet is porridge with steamed fish everyday because I don’t have much appetite anymore. I keep a bottle of water with me wherever I go in the house and drink up every hour. I still take fenugreek supplement and do direct latch in between baby’s feedings to stimulate my supply.

Read more

Hey mummy, my son had the same problem with you but i didn't stop breastfeeding him as the doctor say is ok to feed him. Baby have jaundice is ok, you don't consume ginger replace it to lemongrass and as for red dates can consume it doesn't affects jaundice. To boost your milk supply, you can consume MILO, OATS, MILK, GREEK YOGURT, AVOCADO, PAPAYA LACTATION COOKIES, LACTATION BROWNIES. Looking for lactation foods you can go IG look for BAKINGMAMA, her lactation foods are affordable and delicious. Power pump twice a day, pump every 2 to 3 hours.

Read more
VIP Member

My baby had jaundice too and Doctor adviced to feed as much as possible which helps clear jaundice. I exclusively BF and pumped after every feed to increase supply. First 4-5 days had to top up with formula due to low supply but after that it's been good. So yes, DL works the best. Try eating fenugreek, fennel seeds, garlic, watery fruits & veggies and drink loads of water. Also, do not stress and rest well. Good luck 👍

Read more

My baby had the same problem with jaundice (still has it and almost one month already) but Dr said not to give up breastfeeding, just replace 1 feed with formula. I drink papaya soup once every 2-3 days and my milk supply has maintained. For the jaundice, try BioGaia’s Probiotic Drops with Vit D - recommended by the hospital for my baby.

Read more
TapFluencer

take milk booster food like salmon, oats, Milo avoid milk killer food like chives, cabbage, mint stuff try to do skin to skin nursing to stimulate supply. after nursing pump. do power pump if purely pumping or stick to 2 hourly schedule to boost. if you need more help feel free to DM me at ig @mummyjlife

Read more
VIP Member

continue to latch ur baby. if u cant latch, pump every 2-3hrs. my #1 have jaundice but cleared within 1wk with phototherapy. #2 is bm jaundice. only clear aft he 2mth. dont give up in bf

direct latch the baby. Just expose the baby in direct sunlight in the morning about 20mins. And if you like try to give your lo tiki tiki vitamins. Dont turn off the lights.

avocado milkshake with no sugar works well for me.. you can also take lactation cookies

VIP Member

Continue to latch on demand and power pump.

VIP Member

eat more fish:)