43 Replies

TapFluencer

No water to be given until after 6months when they start solids as it can cause water intoxication, the signs of which include grogginess, confusion, drowsiness, twitching and seizures. Medical professionals say that drinking too much water especially in children under the age of one, may dilute a baby’s normal sodium levels and can lead to seizures, coma, brain damage and even death.Also, water contains empty calories, which means that supplementing your young infant with it will fill him up without adding calories. This can result in insufficient weight gain or even weight loss.

TapFluencer

Hi mummy i feel it depend on yourself. Yes everyone told me shouldn't feed baby water when they are below 6 months. I feed my baby water and I just ignore the pd advice. Reason very simple when we're young do we have such term? We as a human being need water and we won't feel good without water so do our baby. This is what I personally feel. Ppl may disagree with me but my girl is healthy and growing up well. She's on bm and bm water content is high but I still give. Not alot of cos.

I have ask the doctors and senior nurse in kk hospital. They said they dont recommend to give however can try after 4 months just a little to rinse the mouth is fine. They are some nurse that said u can give roughly 10ml too. However if u starts to see seizures or baby react abnormally then better stop because scared water intoxication and then ask the doctors. It actually depends the baby body when it comes to water. Give in moderation should be fine 😊

VIP Member

Why do they insist doing this? Babies under 6 mos should not be given water. You might not see the adverse effects immediately, but why would you risk your baby’s well-being just because people (especially old ones) insist, with reasoning that they did it in the past with you and you turned out well... Please educate them with medical articles online and doctor’s recommendation.

VIP Member

Everyone saying its dangerous and I did avoid giving water at first to avoid water intoxication and also water has no nutrients so why bother to give? But my girl ended up had lots of phelgm and very red lips as she's on formula and had constipation. Ended up I gave abt 10ml a day and gradually increase as she grows bigger and it gotten better. I would say this is very subjective.

What's the reason they wanna feed the baby water? I had the same issue, my mom kept insisting wanna feed my newborn baby water and her reason was worried baby doesnt like to drink when hes bigger. That's bs! I am the mother, I know what's best for the baby, I just ignored her and make sure she doesnt go close to the baby in case she sneaks some water in.

VIP Member

Water intoxication is a problem for very young infants. Babies under 6 months old generally get all their hydration needs from milk. However if baby is fed formula milk, you may give a very small amount to rinse their mouth. If Breast milk, usually no need at all.

Hmmm now a day they say no. Not like last time my generation parents family members were. But for now no. I only use warm water to clean my child tongue. My husband side always ask me to give water too. But I ignore only 🙄

Super Mum

No. Breast milk or formula is sufficient to keep baby hydrated if that's what the family is concerned about. Giving water below 6mo will cause water intoxication and interfere with nutrients absorption from bm/fm

VIP Member

can ask PD if able to prescribe probiotic. my baby had constipation and poop was like pebble kind. PD prescribed probiotics, can mix with milk. see what PD advice😊

Related Questions

Trending Questions

Related Articles