Do you give water to your baby when she has hiccup ? My baby is 3 mo, and in laws keep telling me to give water whenever they are around while PD said its normal for NB to have hiccup till they are 4mo..

105 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It is not advisable to give water to a baby before their age of 6 months because their body(such as kidneys) are not able to handle excessive fluids and it may lead to serious complications as a result. Exclusive formula-fed or breast milk should be the only way to hydrate them. The common reason why baby hiccups is mainly due to over feeding or swallowing alot of air during feed. You can try burping your child after feed. Or perhaps take a break between feed to burp your child to prevent hiccups.

Read more

I just simply breatsfeed my 3 month old son and he’ll stop hiccupping in no time! I heard that a lot. Parents and in laws keep telling the same thing, “feed him/her water. We used to do that.” Truth is, not every baby is the same. It might work back in the days, still, depending on the baby. To be safe, breastfeed all the way. Solids and water when they turn 6 months.

Read more

no. no mama. nothing other than milk for babies below 6MO. so many news about consequences of giving babies other than that, please don't let your LO be on the news too. it is normal for babies to have hiccups, they even have hiccups when they were in our belly. just make sure u burp him/her good, hiccups isn't painful, it is normal, it will goes away sooner or later.

Read more

My son is (2) mos and (4) days old now and yes he usually did the same more hiccups howevere giving water is not advisable give milk instead..baby's this age is not allowed to drink water not unless if you were told by their pedia.. in addition my son is taking formula since he is (2) weeks old so according to hjs neo-nate pedia I need to give him water 1-2 oz 3x/day..

Read more

In general, water should not be given to babies until they are about 6 months old or so. Breast milk or formula milk will suffice even in hot weathers. Infact hiccups are sudden contractions of the diaphragm caused by irritation or stimulation of the muscle. http://www.parenting.com/article/ask-dr-sears-babys-hiccup-habit Hope this would help.

Read more

nabasa ko din sa isang post sa fb na bawal painumin ang baby ng tubig hanggat wala siyang 6-month old. pero yung pedia ng ate ko 1month palang baby niya pinayagan siya na painumin ng tubig yung baby niya basta drop lang. pinatigil nga din siyang mag breastfeed kasi 41y/old na sya. sabi nung doctor di na daw healthy gatas ng ate ko. unbelievable di ba?

Read more
5y ago

kaya nga e. alam ko ang gatas ng ina nag aadjust sa kung ano ang kailangan ng baby niya. nanilaw kasi balaymt ng baby niya sabi nung pedia dahil daw sa gatas ng ate ko.

VIP Member

Breastfed or formula-fed, please do not give any water below 6 months old! Breast milk and formula are mainly made of water, so they are already having enough water from that - it may sound funny, but their bodies are not equipped to handle plain water just yet - hence sometimes babies can get water intoxication when being fed with extra water.

Read more

If u are feeding yr baby formula milk, u need to feed yr baby with water as it's very heaty. If it's breastmilk, there's really no harm feeding just a little bit of water. I fed my infant a bit of water everyday even though I breastfeed her, just make sure the amount of water is not more than breastmilk

Read more

Hicupps are normal. my lo did not take any water from birth till 6 mths old. as breastmilk is watery, the liquidity content is sufficient to sustain the baby's body!on the other hand, if u are feeding formula, there's no harm to give a small teaspoon to ur lo.

Nope, hiccups are normal mapa matanda or bata. Tyaka yung water hindi rinecommend ng pedia ng baby ko hehe natanong ko kase. hindi pa kaya ng tummy nila (0-6) ng water mabigat sa tiyan pwde mag cause ng pagsusuka at paghina dumedede. 80% ng milk water.