MIL keep asking to give baby water

Just want to rant. Annoyed at how MIL keep asking me to give my baby water. Very damn annoying altho i already told her SO MANY TIMES baby below 6 months cannot drink water, only milk. Whatsmore, my baby is only 2 months. When baby is sick or hiccups she keep asking to give baby water. Which i obviously have to keep repeating myself cannot. Old people forever with their olden days or old days. Partly why i don’t trust her taking care of my baby alone, who knows what she might do to baby behind my back.

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Maybe next time ask her would she feed your son alcohol? Say water is as bad as alcohol and she prolly would understand. say babies under 6 months organs cannot process PURE water, cuz it will dilute baby blood. My MIL also dun understand because milk has water in it. Even formula its bad to dilute more water than necessary.. I told her someone in US died after drinking 12 bottles of water - even drinking too much water for adults is deadly. i tell her babies cannot drink water because their organs not good cannot process PURE water and a little bit will be like that adult drink 12 bottles, very bad, then she understand.

Read more

I totally feel you.No matter how many times u tell them cannot feed water.MIL will replied last time they feed water and now her kids are kicking alive so it is okay to give water. When tell MIL that is the doctor instruction,she will not believe in me and ask my husband to ask dr 🙄Explain to her the kidney will be able tolerate it but she just don't seems to understand.

Read more
4mo ago

Same. So I told my mil an adult in usa died after drinking 12 bottles of water. our kidney not only developed but v strong but can still die, baby not even yet developed so v v bad. She sort of understand after that.

get a doctor's memo at the next checkup stating NO WATER FOR BABY and make sure the hospital logo, doctor's name and signature is there. old people sometimes dont believe in us, thinking they know better. but if doctor really send a letter to them "cannot means cannot", they more likely to listen...

My FIL keeps doing this too. It got so often that I can’t keep refusing politely anymore. So I had to remind everyone that this is my baby hahaha. And to put it bluntly, to NOT harm my baby with their ridiculous old ways that have never been medically proven to actually work.

Sameee. Both my mother and MIL kept saying so when my newborn hiccups daily and had constipation previously. They only stopped when I sent them an online article on why drinking water is dangerous. Maybe you can try, hope that helps.

Yup better dont leave ur Lo Alone with her. My mil gave my son water while i was out for a moment and she laughed in my face while telling me about it… eventho i alr told her no water. Only God knows how furious I was.

i feel you. my mil also the same. she would tell me in the past also like that and her children no problem. i purposely ask this question to the doctor with during husband presence to make them buy the idea

Same, I show her an article of a parents got sentence to jail, for feeding water to infant, as the infant passed away (legit article). She don’t dare to keep asking me to feed water. It works miracle! TRY IT!!

4mo ago

I want also lol

My mil did the same but I just tell her it’s life threatening for them to drink water under 6 mo. She even wanted to feed roast pork to my baby at 4mo 🤔😒.

yes!!! nv trust the old ppl! im only comfortable and intend to leave my LO alone when they are more than 6 mths old.