My wife is expecting our first child and she is currently around 4 weeks into the pregancy.. she went for a scan but we could not see any baby but there the presence of the GS and YS... the doctor told us to come back for scan in 2 weeks as most likely its still growning and too small to be seen... has any mummies have similar experience? My wife is a bit worried though i always try to keep her positive...

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Definitely normal. 4weeks can't see much from the scan and can't heartbeat. 8 weeks is the best time to see and hear all these. In fact when I first went to check up at 4 weeks the Gynae said no point to waste money on scan as can't see much. I just did urine test and was asked to come back at 8weeks

Read more

congrats! did ur doc do normal scan on ur wife?my first scan was at a&e. i admitted due to stomach cramp. They can't use normal scan on me. coz i was just in my 8 weeks. they use the vaginal scan on me. and i can see my baby still small (still can see the tails). hehe.

VIP Member

Nothing to worry about! The wonderful thing about human life is that we all start all so, very teeny tiny. I went for my first scan at 5.5 weeks and my son was just a small dot way back then :x Congratulations!

Super Mum

Same for me! I went in for my first scan around that time & doctor could find any GS. Went back again two weeks after & we could see the GS, and heartbeat flickering on the screen :) Take caree!

Normally 8 weeks only can see. When I make appointment with the clinic once I suspect I pregnant, reception helped me scheduled the appointment during week 8.

hi sorry all. can I ask how do u count the preggy weeks? i havent been to any gyne yet.. isit start counting from the last day of menses?

5y ago

yeah, if i can recall from my gynea. the first week after ur menses is counted as 0 week, the the following week is 1 week.

VIP Member

Congrats!! 4 weeks is usually too small to see anything defined. You should be able to see baby more clearly during the next scan!

U all must be so excited to have found out that ur Wife is preg at 4 wks! U won't see much even at 6 wks, just the sac maybe

It happened to me as well! Went to KKH and they scheduled me for 2 more weeks. Don’t worry just make sure she rest well :)

congrats! wait till 6weeks and usually they will do vaginal scan by then to check! just take folic acid okay 🤗