My wife always compares my parenting with her sister's husband's parenting and thinks he is a much better father than me. I find this comparison annoying and heartbreaking. How do I make her understand this?

33 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Each person and his/her upbringing differs. In parenting, we subconsciously apply what our parents had done when they were parenting us. Whether it's discipline, or general talk, we emulate what we were exposed to. That man and u are 2 separate individuals. What u may find repulsive in his technique, may actually be what works for his kids but may backfire with yours. In today age, parents play multiple roles for children. They r disciplinarian towards the end... primarily, kids want parents to be their friends. If ur wife doesn't understand the uniqueness in you, then leave it. No point in lengthy explanation when the obvious is not understood. May be the grass is always greener on the other side for your wife....in due time when she notes your kids responding well to ur upbringing, it will shut her up...for now, Pat your back, bcoz u r a wonderful father....

Read more

That is wrong from her side...Yet it is perfectly normal and understandable. We always try to imperfect our parenting skills. She usually does this because there are certain aspects she requires your help in. Try to figure these out and be supportive. Be open to her on what you are willing or not willing to to, and explain thar your circumstances like work, time etc.. is not the same as other parent and that she should not compare you. Try to slip for her a little flattery now and then in the form of " you are better mom than ur sister " ( hence need fewer support from me)

Read more

I don’t see a point to compare , it’s pretty sensitive to compare with relatives . It would be great if you can share what causes her to say that ? To me it sound like she needs your help when it comes to parenting hence she’s comparing . If not I don’t see a point in comparing 😂 talk to her and try to find out what she really mean . Always remember nobody is perfect and educate her as well , we are humans not robots and we don’t change over night or become better after being compared lol.

Read more

Whatever you do may masasabi at masasabi ang iba. Kahit anong explain mo pa. Di mo kailangan ng validation ng iba to prove that you are a good father to your child. Just continue to do what you do best, be the best father to your child and once na lumaki na sila, sila ung makakaappreciate sa lahat ng efforts mo and it will all be worth it.

Read more

Can understand the annoying. Think with an open mind if there is something you can learn from their style. Tough but may help your child a lot. If you still believe in your style and think it is correct , Tell her they have their own ways of thinking and value system and expectations From their child which may not be the same as yours

Read more

First of all she is stupid Secondly Try to make her understand That everyone is different u look ur kid and husband y u r putting nose in others. If others husband eating s***.. u cant eat s*** right So same things goes with u Forst try to make her understand nicely with love.. if still she doesn’t thn u can use different tactics

Read more

Let her know that everyone has his/her own way of doing things. If she has some problems with the way you raise your children, tell her to point that out to you and suggest some points of improvement rather than comparing your ways with someone else

Tell her you are doing your best as a father and that each father or mother is different in their parenting approach. Tell her that if you compare her parenting style with any other mom and criticize it she won't like it either!

Brother, you're the man of the house. If her comments are causing friction, you need to set her straight. If you need to get into a fight, then do that. But do not allow her to make you feel small. Man-up and do the righ thing.

Grass is always greener on the other side. I'm sure u are an amazing father. Explain to your wife that it's not fair to make comparisons. Everyone has their own way of dealing with with their children.