My wife is 13 weeks pregnant and the feeling of being a father has still not sunk in. How can I help her in this period and how can I make her feel more comfortable

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I can so understand your emotions right now, and trust me, even though we mostly talk about the expectant mom, it's an equally huge life change for the dad as well. My first tip to you would be don't stress - no one is an expert in baby care, not even seasoned parents, and you will do just fine. Before you try to help your wife, I'd suggest you read up a little bit about how things are going to be in the future as a parent. You can read a book called The Expectant Dad's Survival Guide: Everything You Need to Know by Rob Kemp, it is available on Amazon, and another called From Dude to Dad: The Diaper Dude Guide to Pregnancy by Chris Pegula with Frank Meyer. To help her out, keep a track of doc visits and remind her and go with her, let her rest and cook for her as and when you can, you can also make some extra batch of healthy soups at home and freeze them, so that she can heat and eat on days when she is feeling tired. Give her a foot massage, a shoulder rub or a head massage, comfort her, bear with her changing and raging moods, take her out for a stroll to help her relax, or get her into retail therapy if that is what will make her feel happy for then. Most important - share your fears, expectations, concerns and everything that is going on in your mind and ask her about what she is feeling.

Read more

At this delicate and happy stage, your wife needs you the most, both physically and emotionally. A wife becomes a mother since the day she conceives but for fathers it takes some time for the feeling to sink in. Its good that you realize that you need to make your wife feel special. Go for all the doctor checkups with her, take her out for outings, cuddle with her and talk to her about the baby and her feelings, share yours. Cook something special for her. Read books about parenting and babies together.

Read more