When I'm out in public, whether I'm grocery shopping or waiting in line at the post office, people ask personal questions about my pregnancy and sometimes even put their hand on my belly. How can I tell them to mind their business without being rude?

36 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

For me personally, if I see someone who smiles and me after noticing my stomach, I automatically place my arms on my tummy so they wouldn't touch it. I'd usually smile and answer really short, but nothing too rude because they meant nothing but good intentions. Otherwise, when they start giving me advise, I would just nod and smile before thanking them for advise and then saying that I am rushing off to meet my husband. Just do not snap back, but these people are genuinely happy for you and I personally feel that we need more of this in the world.

Read more

This is my first baby and I am not looking forward to anyone besides family touching my belly, I already have too many people putting in their input about how to be pregnant 🙄Taking it one day at a time, we had a miscarriage last year and im finally getting to experience all the things I never got to before in pregnancy. A stranger touching my belly is not one I would like at all. I would just tell them to respect my boundaries especially with covid but in a non rude way. I can't say much about strangers touching pregnant women's belly, since my cousin does the same thing 😂😂

Read more

People may feel your bump is so adorable and just can’t resist. If they are polite and ask you if they can touch your belly, and if you are uncomfortable to let them touch you can reply "I would prefer that you don't as I feel uneasy people touching my bump" and smile. If they touch your bump without your permission, you can tell them politely "I would have preferred that you asked first" and they will get the massage straight that it is not okay to touch your bump.

Read more

If they ask , as long as you can answer just reply it calmly. Also not good to be emotional for preggy mom right! But for put hand on your belly depend on the gender of the person. If women i think it might be consider as they over excitement for other people happiness or maybe they can't have a chance to mom like us. So just enjoy it. If it was a man just give him a punch on face.. hahahaha

Read more
VIP Member

I've encountered plenty of similar questions from complete strangers when I was pregnant, and now that my baby is born, she also receives attention from strangers and service staff. You don't need to snap at them. Just flash a brief smile and say that you're in a rush before moving away. You can also place your hands on your tummy so there is no space for theirs.

Read more
VIP Member

I'm a malay n my hubby is a chinese so being stared n questioned by strangers are just regular things for us. when I'm pregnant many people become excited also including the strangers one 🤣 but I will always hold my belly when walk outside so they understand I'm very protective to my baby n don't ever dare to touch my belly as they wishes

Read more

Ppl r, I believe being excited for your pregnancy. I think u just need to smile and being understanding too. But it is always your right to tell them directly that you don't feel comfortable if they touch your belly or asking u sensitive questions..be direct anyways.

Wahh thats consider better actually coz they notice that u are pregnant and they respect.. some of them i notice nowadays they dont even bother to see rpegnant lady queing .. they just ignore and dont make way for us pregnant lady ..

I don't like strangers asking personal question like that as well. I think you might politely turned down the question saying that I'm sorry I feel like I don't like sharing personal thing and politely smile. The person should be understand that statement.

Atleast people are still happy to see you pregnant coz having a baby is a blessing.. imagine if they ask you hows the baby but youre not pregnant 😂

3y ago

happened to me before. at that time I wasn't even married. but now, i am fat and pregnant, so yes i can confidently says "yes i am pregnant". lol