What will you do if your MIL keep buying stuffs that are impractical for your children? I requested my husband to tell her save the money and bring my children out for great food when we meet instead of buying stuffs. However, my husband scold me for being ungrateful and not being appreciative. My reason is the clothes my mil bought is often in very thick material (more for winter wear) or scary print which my girl don't even dare to go near not to mention put it on. I will normally keep it until they outgrown and bless it out. My husband scold me for wasting money by not letting the kids wear it and keep buying new clothes. There was once I just casually brought up the topic that the clothes are too thick to wear now as the weather is too hot when my mil ask. He get upsets and start to find trouble with me that day. He himself know the truth but keep pushing the blame to me. What will you guy do if you are me?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I'd accept it and say that I appreciate it, but also mention that there may be other things that could be more practical (in a nice way of course). You can also let your MIL know your intentions, because sometimes all they see are just us not appreciating things! My parents buy things for my son ALL THE TIME. If they were practical, fine. But they buy cheap toys that cannot last long, most either spoil within a few days or isn't even suitable for my son in the first place. I give them warnings here and there, but if it gets too frequent I'd just tell them off because all those toys end up getting damaged and thrown away within a week - not only waste money but waste resources and create trash.

Read more
VIP Member

Well if its me , i will tell directly and of course i will talk to both hubby and MIL. They will understand , as i also dont wish them to buy and waste it as baby grow really fast . Usually old people buy thicker material , in Spore we hardly let baby wear thick material except night time in aircon room.. But i wont quarrel with them. I will just say nicely and see how it goes or bring it for overseas

Read more
VIP Member

Tell your mil where to buy the clothes or best recommend said by many other babies. if your LO is old enough, you can say oh baby like this cartoon. Can try finding these cartoon. Im sure your mil would also like to dote own their own grandkids. But probably didn't think it that way that clothes would be too thick. Maybe suggest to her instead, Can you get some nice cardigian for her?

Read more

I will suggest hubby to tell his mum to buy thinner and simple clothes as Singapore's weather is very hot and appreciate if she understands. However I will also try to utilize the thick clothings when they got to very cold shopping malls or cinemas.

If it's so difficult, just take the clothes and keep quiet. Alternatively, ask her to bring your bub out along with you?