What are the things your parents did that you will never do to your kids or future kids?

54 Replies
Write a reply

I was raised in the Philippines.When my mom gets mad,she hits me a couple of times with anything (broomstick/duster stick/hanger and all of the above)and will never sit down and explain why she had to discipline me.When my son gets antsy...I give him a time out (stand facing the wall in the corner)I let him cry and when he calms down I sit beside him and explain why I had to call him out for his wrongdoing...kiss and hug after the conversation and he’s like a brand new kid again.So far this method is working for my little dude.Also my Mom leave us with House helpers, as I grow up I never have a close bond with my mother.She’s a stay at home Mom but loves to be with her circle of friends all the time.Im the total opposite of her,Im a SAHM but prefer to be a hands on Mom to my son since day 1 and I prioritize my husband and son over my “Amigas”.

Read more
VIP Member

My parents tried to enroll me in too many extra curricular activities instead of doubling down on those that I excelled it. For example they put me in classical dance for 6 years and piano for 8 years and art classes for 4 years, drama for 6 years, Badminton for 2, tennis for 2 and Swimming for 5-6 years. I loved drama class, tolerated Swimming and hated everything else. Wish they had just put me in drama and Swimming

Read more

to put me at grandparents the whole week including night time. it's fun for me really just that I'm not very close to my parents now. I ll bring my kids home everyday. also I felt quite spoilt by my grandparents. of course we learn as we mature but old habits die hard. still half considering whether to put my child at childcare

Read more

My parents r overprotective towards all of us. Everything oso cannot. Go overseas with frenz oso cannot. Cannot stay out late. I will never be overprotective towards my kids.

Extra pampering

I will never curse at my child, or abuse my child emotionally. And i will always be there for my child to the best of my capabilities.

I am a pampered and overprotected being the only child!I was brought up with too much discipline. Wasn't really allowed to go out with friends. A friends dad being in the police services, a constable followed me wherever I went. I was given a cell phone at 17 and started clubbing at 20 .There wasn't any open communication when I was growing up so a lot of curiosity led me to explore things from outside. Sex talks /education was a taboo.(still is )I was spanked too...There wasn't proper reasoning given for anything I asked them.So they ended up being parents when they could have been friends :)My child will be allowed to ask anything and will be given the logical answers. Be it a boy or girl- sex education will be imparted to them at early stage. I will also teach them to drink so that they do not get carried away, drunk and taken advantage of...So my kids will explore and I'll be watching their back to see they are safe and sound always !

Read more

my parents was focused on academic results and that give me a lot of stress. Yes, I would want my kids to have a good future and be successful but academic is not always the most impt

Growing up in a Malay family, you were definitely brought up to think that you were 'born' into a religion, which is not true. I felt that it wasn't very healthy being subjected to a religion or religious practices that you were not able to choose and having to make decision for yourself as a child on the basis 'God does not allow that' can be incredibly confusing as a child. So religious and spiritual belief is something that I would let them choose on their own.

Read more
VIP Member

Being less critical. Some Indian parents tend to be more critical of them and this something that I would never replicate. This can lower the child's confidence and make them introverts.