What are the things your parents did that you will never do to your kids or future kids?

56 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

FAVORITISM. my baon when i was in college is 80 pesos per day only and my school is not even that near. only to find out that my brother(grade school only that time) is 150-200 per day ang baon and naka school service pa siya with packed lunch. LOL. But i was the smarter one(line of 9 in high school and unos in college) he was the palakol one(line of 7).

Read more

I will do my best not to be a controlling monster my mother is. On top of being extremely strict she kept me practically isolated from the outside world. Having little to no experience with other people and basic communication, I grew up being an extremely shy person to the point of being unable to order a drink at a cafe or buying a train ticket!

Read more

to put me at grandparents the whole week including night time. it's fun for me really just that I'm not very close to my parents now. I ll bring my kids home everyday. also I felt quite spoilt by my grandparents. of course we learn as we mature but old habits die hard. still half considering whether to put my child at childcare

Read more
VIP Member

My parents were never too strict, maybe too easy sometimes- i would make sure to have rules and chores in my house to teach kids responsibilities. Sometimes i feel like i learnt the hard way because i wasn't taught household chores when i was younger. I want to teach my kids to be more of an all-rounder (housework and life work)

Read more

My parents are the best, but few things would make them bestest, if they could avoid below few things. 1. Impose obligatory relationships 2. Forcing (in a way) religious practices 3. Not paying enough attention, on extra-curricular activities or may be sports. 4. Not opening up much, in front of kids

Read more

My parents never let me argue with them - it was always, "because i said so ... because i am your mother/father..." and if i dared to argue - they would just raise their voice and cut me off. I don't want to do that to my kids. I want them to challenge me and challenge the world around them.

Post reply image

Making unachievable goals for you kid academically and ignoring anything other than that. I was very good at painting as a primary schooler. But it was ignored to such an extent that when I stopped doing it, no one at my house noticed. But sudden drop in exam marks clearly raised their eyebrows.

Their absolutist way of life. Because they're hardcore Christians, they saw the world in black and white, good or bad. There never was a middle ground or grey areas with them. And that's not good. Not everything can be put under the "good" or "bad" category. There are much more to life than that.

VIP Member

Close minded. My parents have a really strict mindset. I won't raise my children in their way, i want my children to learn and listen everything in a good way, then make their own way to achieve something they really want, i will give my children trust.

Using spanking as a discipline method. Spanking has side effects on children's behaviour and psychology. I will not use it on my children. There are alternatives parenting approach when comes to discipline. E.g. Time-In and Positive Parenting.