How to quit smoking

Hi there. Mummies who were smokers before you got pregnant, how did y'all quit smoking during pregnancy? I'm still in my early stages and I find it so hard to just quit smoking. I've gradually decreased my smoking session though (max I'd smoke in a day would be 3 sticks) but I really wanna quit smoking totally. I wouldn't want anything to affect the foetus. Also , I have a toddler turning 2 at home so I don't want to affect his health as well. Although I know that it's all in god's hand if anything were to happen to my foetus , I still feel that I play a part in keeping this pregnancy healthy. Hope to hear some advises on how you guys kept away from smoking. Thanks!!

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Im a heavy smoker and I smoke throughout my first pregnancy. I'm very very stubborn and I don't listen to anyone. Keep Google search for positive result to assure myself that even a smoker baby can be as healthy. Although luckily my baby turn out fine but is diagnosed with GDD and I keep blaming myself because of this. Although my child is not the serious kind but till now still not able to form sentences like normal 7yo. Like very limited vocab. Sometimes I will also feel that my child brain not processing well. Like cannot register knowledge into the brain. My child is quite slow sometimes comparing to others also. So my advice is that if u don't want to constantly feeling that guilt or to see ur child progress slower or worst than others do quit smoking. I heard from a friend that ur gynae will suggest u go for a counseling session for quitting smoke. I'm at my 2nd pregnancy and yes I'm still a smoker change to Vape last year but for this pregnancy I keep praying hopefully my unborn will make me nausea upon vape/cig smell. During 1st 3months like that before my 1st visit to gynae i still vape but after confirming the pregnancy during the 1st visit, i start to feel nausea each time I vape so I stop completely. Cant even stand the smell when my husband vape. so after my husband vape finish the last batch we bought he stop smoking and vaping too. On off during 2nd trimester got craving for smoking too but I didn't cave in. I know is very hard to quit smoking for at least 1 year but I hope u can see from my experience for my first born. although my child is not challenged like autistic kids and is normal too but the constant guilt in me and the slow learning and adapting in my child is really not u want for u and ur child. I can only say good luck all the best. I'm no expert of course just real life experience to share with you. Pardon for the broken English. I have to add on. Prior to my 2nd pregnancy I got a miscarriage last year August. Probably due to vaping and drinking. So if can just quit ba.

Read more

i went cold turkey. stayed away from friends who smokes. my husband at that point of time was still smoking. but i guess my mentality is that im done smoking for 10 years. if i dont quit now ill never quit. previously i tried quitting for 6 months but because i didnt stay away frm ppl who smoke also not many support i start again. but this time i just tell myself i want to conceive. i want to be healthy. i want my family to live healthier. after 3 months i start smoking when drinking w my friend. and thn after another month i had ciggy when i went drinking again. after that up till now ( 3 years alrdy) im ciggy free. u need support from ppl around. use your children as motivation. tell yourself u can do this. it wont be easy, you will be moody, angry, and probably eat alot. try to exercise or go for walks when you are tempted to smoke or binge eat.

Read more

Hi Mummy, I used to be a heavy smoker too, I think my first miscarriage was due to smoking (i waited 2 weeks to confirm my pregnancy, i was dumb to continue smoking) so once i found out that i was pregnant, i decided to stop but it was too late. I was in a very bad place after my miscarriage. depression, whatever you want to call it. continued smoking to cope with my stress/depression. for my 2nd pregnancy, Once I found out that I was 1 day late for my period, that's when I knew i have to stop smoking. I'd rather give up my ciggs and not give up on my baby. it was really hard at first but thank god for these sensitive nose. my senses rejected the smell. so now, I'm nicotine free. whenever my husband smoke, I tell him to smoke somewhere I can't see or smell him. you can do it mummy, 💪

Read more

I’m not sure how I did it, but being a smoker for more than 13 years, a pack a day.. one day I decided I want to have a baby. And that day I was so determined, I did not go into like reducing the frequency but I just told myself I should stop completely and immediately. I did, and 3months later I was pregnant. Now bearing 2nd child and never had a puff. I think quit smoking the hardest is part is all in your mind. If you are determined, you can quit it completely now. Also the health of the baby does get impacted if you smoke and drink. Doesnt need God to interfere. So don’t risk it.

Read more

Thankfully for me, my baby hates the smell of any nicotine. Cigarettes/vape all makes me nauseous. Also, if your husband smokes as well, him trying to quit with you plays a super big part afterwards. My pregnancy managed to make the both of us quit smoking for good. If he didn’t, I’d probably be smoking back once I give birth already… Actually in my POV, for the sake of your child’s well-being, you should try to resist lighting up one.. Try chewing sweets instead when you feel the urge and get rid of all the cigarettes you have and stop buying.

Read more

Been smoking for more than 10 years and when i found out i was preggy, i threw my box away. I told myself I don’t want anything to happen to my unborn child and i want my child to grow inside of me healthy. If there’s a will, surely there’s a way. I didn’t even go cold turkey. But i do get more sleepy and hungry. Whenever i had the urge to smoke, i would drink a glass of water or i practice my breathing. Take a deep breath and breathe out or even….. pretend im smoking 😂 it works for me

Read more

Hi Mummy, i am a heavy smoker too (1-2 packs a day) I stopped immediately when i found out i am 3 weeks pregnant. Took my last stick and that’s it. Had the urge to smoke but forced myself not to. I still mix around w smokers but will not follow them for smoke breaks. It’s hard, even when i am 10 weeks pregnant now, the urge is still there but thankfully i am able to control myself. I hope you’re able to quit soon! You got this 🤍

Read more

i actually went cold Turkey the moment I decided I have baby . once awhile when ppl who are smoking and walk pass me I will feel the gian. so I actually talk a long deep breath and hold , walk to further distance then breathe normally. I do this until one fine day I'm not affected by the smell anymore. the challenging part is when people around you smokes, if you can have your friends and family support it will help greatly.

Read more

I’ve been smoking for about 15 years, pretty heavy smoker as well. Not sure what got into me but the moment my pregnancy test came up positive, I quit smoking on the spot. Never felt the temptation to smoke either during my pregnancy (24weeks now), I think the whole morning sickness helps because I’m mostly nauseous and have no “feel” to smoke at all.

Read more

i was a very heavy smoker , almost 2 pack a day. i really fight the urge to stop smoking maybe i force myself one week smoke 1 -2 sticks then the next week i force myself again to smoke 1 stick only.. stopped when i was 6-7weeks. yes ill feel the temptation to smoke but i never give in to it !! i am now 28 weeks

Read more