Breastfeed while smoking

I'm a smoker but I stopped smoking during the entire pregnancy. Sacrificed for the sake of my baby... but if I were to smoke after birth and I'm planning on breastfeeding, is it possible if I pump 2 / 3 hours before or after smoking. #advicepls

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

If you haven't been smoking for the past 9 months, I wish to encourage you to continue. you've done a great job. I stopped when I found out with my first. I stopped when I was in 2nd trimester with my second. I only cut down when I was in my 3rd trimester with my third. I smoked 5 sticks a day with my fourth from 1st trimester. it had proven that smoking during pregnancy indeed produce low birth weight from my experience. I do smoke during my breastfeeding journey. Although my babies were fine, growing up without issues, I still do feel the guilt very much. To be frank, cig stinks so much. I don't smoke with my current pregnancy as I couldn't take the smell. The smell makes me gagged, nausea or even puked. so, if you can stop, continue to stop by all means. it's costy and nasty.

Read more

Please know that smoking while breastfeeding will endanger your baby. Your baby might develop life threatening health problems. I really understand you. I was a smoker too until I found out I am pregnant. I immediately quit for the sake of my baby. And I also intend to fully breastfeed but never have the intention to start smoking again. Also please know that whatever you takes in like nicotine, it stays in your breastmilk. It also inhibit your milk production and might reduce the level of vitamin C that your baby is getting through your breastmilk. Hang in there mummy! It's not easy, I know but for the sake of your baby? You don't want to fork out more $$ if your baby has any health issues.

Read more

just quit for the sake of ur baby n ur health :) I'm also a smoker, once I found out that I was pregnant i can't take the cigg smell, my hubby was a smoker too he stopped smoking cause of me. I told my hubby for the sake of our baby we should stop smoking even the child is born. let's do it tgt!! dont start, once start never stops!!

Read more
Super Mum

The half life of nicotine is 1.5 hours.. which means there will still be traces of nicotine in your body even after 3 hours. Smoking also greatly reduces the production of milk. You may want to consider not smoking even after birth. You’ve already done it for 9 months! Don’t waste the effort, you can do it!

Read more
TapFluencer

if you can stop would suggest you to stop. I do have mummy friend who smoke during bf. what they do is they limit to smoking only after pumping and don't smoke for 2 to 3 hours before nursing or pumping.

3y ago

Hi mummy J. Can I ask, for your friends that smoke after a feed, how long did they do it for? I just started smoking again :( and I only smoke after a feed

The nicotine from smoke could stick to your skin and clothes. It’s unhealthy and could be deadly for your baby to breath in the substance. Better quit for baby’s health.

If you already managed to stop during pregnancy, why would you purposely start smoking again by *choice*??

yes, please do avoid smoking while breastfeeding. it will harm the baby.

I

I