For parents with toddler and preschool kids. What's your yardstick for sending them to school when they are unwell? - some parents keep kids home the minute a runny nose or cough develops. They get super upset with other parents who send kids to school when they are sick - some parents use fever as the yardstick and send back to school after 24 hours from when fever subsides, the kid may have a tail cough or drippy nose - some parents simply have not much choice. Either insufficient leave or no other care arrangements. They put their kids in school even with a fever. My tot had a fever and cough. We kept him home for a whole week because he had a cough after the fever subsided. That was a lot of taking time off work both hub and my end and the kid having to readjust back to school after being away for a week. Looking at how often the little fella gets a cough or cold, if I continue with this, we could probably be home half the time. Any thoughts on this first world problem?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

As a parents to 3 children, I am upset and angry that some parents sent their kids to school when they are down with running nose, cough, vomiting etc although there might be no fever accompanied. Because i belong to the 1st type mentioned; put yourself in other shoes. If my kid is unwell, would u like me to sent him to school if u r the parents of my LO classmates? Parents should be considerate and be responsible to their children's health as well as to other children in the school. If every parents keep their kids home when they are sick; it will definitely reduce the chances of passing the virus or germs around in school. Especially in this time of the year where HFMD is very active. And parents, pls refrain from bring your kids to crowded places like swimming pools during the weekends where it looks more like a sauna than a swimming pool. These are places where chances of getting virus from other unwell kids is very high. Pls protect the health of your kids.

Read more

I think the type of school you send your child too plays a part too. If it's a 3hr kindergarten or half day childcare centre, there is generally a support network the parent can fall back on, be it grandparents, SAHM or domestic helper. I'll expect kids to stay at home when they are unwell. For kids attending full day childcare, they are typically taken care of by full time working parents with less support. There is no way they can be brought home at the slightest sign of illness. As such, tolerance for illness is typically higher. At the end of the day, do what you think is convenient while being civic minded to the best of your ability. We live in a society whereby you send, tongues will wag, don't send, other tongues will wag too. Do what make sense to you and your child, without causing major inconvenience to others is what I'll recommend.

Read more

Personally, I would say that what you and your hubby did was the most preferred arrangement. Because fever is often one of the first few signs of other conditions. Therefore, it is best to keep the child home when he/she has fever. Cough and flu, on the other hand, are highly contagious. So, it is also best to avoid contact with other children to prevent spreading the virus to others. Perhaps, try to introduce some supplements (multivitamins, probiotics) to your child to help boost his immune system? That is if he is not getting enough from his daily diet. I personally find vitamin C very efficient in prevent flu. Not sure if it is psychological though. Just a suggestion for you to consider. Btw, hope your son is feeling better and take care of yourself too!

Read more

Schools and child care centers will not usually accept kids who are running a fever. This would be a period when they are especially contagious and also, most kids with fever are not feeling well systematically. The fever is usually the first to resolve but runny nose and coughs tend to be very persistent. If your child has some of the symptoms but no fever, is still as active as ever and is eating well, then you could consider allowing him back to school. Strict hand washing is still advisable to minimise transmission of the virus. Hope this helps.

Read more

As for me I let my boy to stay at home until he fully recovered. when he has a running nose, I don't not want viruses to spread to his friends in school. I should be a reaponseable parents. Maybe you can seek help from grandparents for help cos as working parents it will difficult take leaves.

VIP Member

I wouldn’t send my little girl to school if she has any of the following: Runny nose, colds, fever and flu We try to be responsible parents to our own kids and be considerate to other kids.

Read more
VIP Member

I send my bub to school unless she is running a fever or a terrible runny nose. But will pick her up as early as possible and drop her off as late as possible.