What is your policy: Send your kid to school or keep home if there is a runny nose and mild cough but no fever?

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

For me, i have to privilege to bring my child to work with me (as i am working with family so there is some flexibility) I will keep my child at home if he is having mild flu and cough. Children still don't know how to cover their mouth when they cough. I will not want them to spread the virus around the whole class. It won't be fair to judge other parents if they bring their child to school despite having cough & flu as not many people are fortunate enough to have understanding boss.

Read more

If your kid is not in a very high grade and if he or she can miss school for a few days, i would suggest to keep them home. i usually let my younger one rest at home for at least 4 5 days till her cough gets fine and she is absolutely healthy. it is best to let them get fully better before sending them to school. this will avoid the infection from spreading to other kids and also help your child be absolutely healthy

Read more

When I'm a Full Time Working Mother (FTWM), no choice I will send them as there is no alternative care. However, now that I'm a Stay At Home Mum (SAHM), I still send them to childcare as normal but in the event if they are sick, then no no. Immunity weakens and best to let them stay home in case they catches more germs which is worse.

Read more

I will keep my child at home if runny nose and serious cough (with a lot of phlegm) as I believe the immune system of him/her is very weak and it will turn out worse if contact other virus in school. Also, it is a basic social responsibility to keep a sick child at home to prevent illness from spreading to other children in the school.

Read more

I will keep my child at home if he is having a runny nose and/or a cough as they might be passed down to other children. It may cause distress to their parents as not all parents have alternatives to have someone looking after their child. I would not want my child to catch an illness in school as well.

Read more

As much as possible, my colleague will keep her daughter at home in such cases because runny nose and cough are highly contagious. She could afford to do that partly because we have a very understanding boss who allows her to work from home when required.

As much as possible, my colleague will keep her daughter at home in such cases because runny nose and cough are highly contagious. She could afford to do that partly because we have a very understanding boss who allows her to work from home when required.

a runny nose and cough can be highly contagious, not to mention that it is also very inconvenient for the child. i definitely keep my kids at home unless the nose is better and the coughing almost not there.

I'll be sensitive and I'll just excuse my son from school because his cold is contagious and might affect his schoolmates too.

As much as possible keep at home. But then again many of us need to work so if there is no fever I guess I'll send to school.