For parents with toddler and preschool kids. What's your yardstick for sending them to school when they are unwell? - some parents keep kids home the minute a runny nose or cough develops. They get super upset with other parents who send kids to school when they are sick - some parents use fever as the yardstick and send back to school after 24 hours from when fever subsides, the kid may have a tail cough or drippy nose - some parents simply have not much choice. Either insufficient leave or no other care arrangements. They put their kids in school even with a fever. My tot had a fever and cough. We kept him home for a whole week because he had a cough after the fever subsided. That was a lot of taking time off work both hub and my end and the kid having to readjust back to school after being away for a week. Looking at how often the little fella gets a cough or cold, if I continue with this, we could probably be home half the time. Any thoughts on this first world problem?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

As a parents to 3 children, I am upset and angry that some parents sent their kids to school when they are down with running nose, cough, vomiting etc although there might be no fever accompanied. Because i belong to the 1st type mentioned; put yourself in other shoes. If my kid is unwell, would u like me to sent him to school if u r the parents of my LO classmates? Parents should be considerate and be responsible to their children's health as well as to other children in the school. If every parents keep their kids home when they are sick; it will definitely reduce the chances of passing the virus or germs around in school. Especially in this time of the year where HFMD is very active. And parents, pls refrain from bring your kids to crowded places like swimming pools during the weekends where it looks more like a sauna than a swimming pool. These are places where chances of getting virus from other unwell kids is very high. Pls protect the health of your kids.

Read more