For parents with toddler and preschool kids. What's your yardstick for sending them to school when they are unwell? - some parents keep kids home the minute a runny nose or cough develops. They get super upset with other parents who send kids to school when they are sick - some parents use fever as the yardstick and send back to school after 24 hours from when fever subsides, the kid may have a tail cough or drippy nose - some parents simply have not much choice. Either insufficient leave or no other care arrangements. They put their kids in school even with a fever. My tot had a fever and cough. We kept him home for a whole week because he had a cough after the fever subsided. That was a lot of taking time off work both hub and my end and the kid having to readjust back to school after being away for a week. Looking at how often the little fella gets a cough or cold, if I continue with this, we could probably be home half the time. Any thoughts on this first world problem?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Personally, I would say that what you and your hubby did was the most preferred arrangement. Because fever is often one of the first few signs of other conditions. Therefore, it is best to keep the child home when he/she has fever. Cough and flu, on the other hand, are highly contagious. So, it is also best to avoid contact with other children to prevent spreading the virus to others. Perhaps, try to introduce some supplements (multivitamins, probiotics) to your child to help boost his immune system? That is if he is not getting enough from his daily diet. I personally find vitamin C very efficient in prevent flu. Not sure if it is psychological though. Just a suggestion for you to consider. Btw, hope your son is feeling better and take care of yourself too!

Read more