Newborn jaundice - how to improve it

My nephew left the hospital last week - jaundice level at 230 on his first day. After one week, it goes up to 270... (border line is 300) Our family doctor advices to send him back to hospital. We are worrying the baby and we have no idea how to control or improve it.... we tried breastfeeding more often like 60ml every 4hours these 2 days and we tried use formula milk....etc. Any experienced mum can share your experience and methods?

Newborn jaundice - how to improve it
11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My LO had high jaundice and had to admit into hospital twice in a week for phototherapy. PD advised to continue feeding him BM ideally as it is more easily digested, but FM is fine too as long as u keep BB hydrated and let him expel the bilirubin thru poop/urine as much as possible. At 21 day old, his jaundice level was still higher than ideal and it is mandatory to take urine and blood samples to ensure liver function is proper. Luckily results came in ok

Read more

My sis newborn also got jaundice 2 mths ago her reading is 254 at day 3 then photolight at hospital 1 night then discharge her reading up again then we decide to rent a 3D2N home light therapy to do at home instead ( successfully went down to 170 and never kick back ) as it's stressful to admit the baby again when mummy is breastfeed and just discharge .. just to beware risk of dehydration and need constant change baby position

Read more
Super Mum

Don’t worry, the levels peak at about 1 week old. Yes, increasing the feeds (and hence more poop) and giving some formula can help it to come down faster. After one week, as long as it’s on a downward trend, that’s fine:) for both my kids, it took about 4 weeks for the levels to come down to about 100 (then the polyclinic stopped checking), and the yellowing of the skin took another few more weeks to completely resolve.

Read more
VIP Member

Keep him under the light whole day in ur room don’t switch off the light .. n also bring him out sun rise sun set time n expose him the direct early mng sun rise n also evng sun set time it may help fuel as I don’t to my lo the same soon he was recovered frm jaundice.. n also better to feed ur lo evey 2hrs instead 4 hrs

Read more
4y ago

Baby is in HONG KONG now, weather is a bit cold over there and we might not bring him to under the sun. Thanks for the sharing ❤️

Add chrysanthemum flower water to his bath water. Can also try feeding him 3 teaspoon full of fresh boiled sugarcane juice about twice a day. Bring him to sun during the morning between 8am to 10am. Feed him lots to flush out the jaundice. All these methods I used to bring my BB's jaundice level down.

Read more
VIP Member

My girl also had newborn jaundice. She did phototherapy for one day. At home, we fed her 3-hourly. It went down naturally and after 2 weeks, her PD cleared her of jaundice.

VIP Member

My baby had jaundice too, doc advise to admit hospital or rent the blue light machine home, we rented the machine and baby was under the blue light for 3 days 2 night.

Shower using one kind of yellow flower from Chinese herb shop. That time hit 230 I also very worried. But less than 100 within 3weeks

Super Mum

Keep feeding to purge out jaundice. May it be breat milk or formula. And if need to supplement, just do so

Keep feeding formula milk.