Newborn caregiving questions

Hi mummies, I have some questions if the community can share your experiences and advices pls! My bb is currently 5weeks old 1)How do I gauge the amount of milk I should feed him? Accord to research he Shld be taking 100-120ml. But he kept spitting out milk and having difficulty to burp though we tried many methods of burping/ helping him to release gas e.g. bicycle stretches 2) it seems like my bb has alot of gas, not sure why. Any better methods of releasing gas? We tried applying Ru Yi oil, added Riwind Med into his milk .. 3) he seems to sleep very well during day time but not so wee hours onwards. Anyone experienced this too? Can share advices pls? Thank you all in advance!

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My baby has a lot of gas too and it was very difficult to feed him so we went to visit the doctor. We gave him riwind before every feed and it works well. We used to stroke baby’s back upwards for burping but we realised that he burps more quickly when he sits upright or place baby upright with his head on our shoulders. No need to stroke upwards. Also, you can try to burp baby in between each feed and after each feed. Baby might not spits milk so easily.

Read more
Super Mum

Hey Eleanor, Everything you’ve mentioned is super common for babies. How much milk you should feed is how much milk baby is able and willing to drink.. so feed on demand. Burping usually takes some time.. and even with burping, baby can still regurgitate. It’s normal. If you’re still worried about gas, maybe try a different milk bottle? Dr Brown’s worked pretty well for me.

Read more
2y ago

Is baby in pain when he tries to poo? If he’s ok, should be fine 😅

You can try giving baby abit of gripe water, it will help with the gas. You can also apply or rub a drop of ruyi oil at baby's tailbone area after shower. For burping, holding baby upright with his head on your shoulders, works well. Baby won't burp immediately however takes time.

2y ago

Thanks L C! Yesss we’ve been applying ruyi oil on his stomach and feets too. I’ll usually do all the possible burp positions after each feed, only works sometime ~ I guess I jus have to persevere and persevere !!!

hi Eleanor, i use Digestif Balm from Inara Organics for my bb who is 6 weeks old. It works very well in helping him to release gas! He burps almost immediately after every feed. It also helps him to poop more regularly.

2y ago

Thank you!! Will check it out 😉