Washing pumping parts and bottles

Hello mummies, do you wash and sterilize all the pumping parts and the bottles after very pump? I heard what some mummies do is after pumping they put everything in the zip lock bag/ container and keep it in the fridge, and only wash and sterilize end of the day. Is that okay to do so? And how do you dry the milk bottles after sterilize if the sterilizer doesn’t have the drying function? Can I use tissue or kitchen towel?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I wash and sterilise everything after every pump. It depends on how young your baby is. If your baby is less than 3 months old or born premature, it’s better to sterilise after every pump. If your baby is older than 3 months and born full term with no health issues, it’s ok to put the pump parts in the ziplock bag and put in the fridge and only wash it at the end of the day. If you are using a steam steriliser, and there is water inside after you sterilise the pump parts and bottles, you can either air dry everything or just use since the water inside the sterilised parts are sterile as well.

Read more
VIP Member

If you have a few sets, you can keep the used one in a ziplock and keep in the freezer for washing and sterilising at home. It really isn’t convenient to wash and sterilise at work. Otherwise, wash and sterilise and use immediately as the water there is considered sterile.

Super Mum

I’m a bit more particular, so I do wash and sterilise after every pump. When I was using a steam steriliser, I usually let it air dry on the drying rack, as towels have small fibres that may come off on the bottle/pump parts. Now I use a UV steriliser which dries it too.

Super Mum

You can wash after every pump but sterilise once a day. I've read in an article that keeping pump parts in the fridge is not as safe, but I had to do it a couple times 😅. it's up to your comfort level.

VIP Member

Yeah. You can do that but I don't feel comfortable with it so i wash and then rinse it with hot water after every use. Sterilize only once or twice a day together with milk bottles

VIP Member

I use steam steriliser at home and dry the stuffs using a drying rack meant for bottles. Cheaper by saving electricity.

VIP Member

I did that at work. Thorough wash takes time as bm is rather oily and cant possibly bring the steriliser to work.

I keep in Ziplock in fridge and wash and sterilise once a day. Been 3.5 months and baby is perfectly fine

I’ll keep in my UV steriliser cabinet and sterilise before each pump.

VIP Member

I store in a container, u can do an easy rinse before you store.

4y ago

Into the fridge thereafter.