Hi mummies, I am being question by my father why my lo at 4 months can't hold his own bottle while feeding? I don't know that at 4 months I have to start to teach him. How should I start to teach him? dose brand and size of bottle matters?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I was told by the infantcare teachers tat usually babies start holding their bottles at 6mths old.. My baby cant hold his bottle at tat age n they r wondering y... Lol! Different babies r different. I started teaching him at 7mths plus old and teach a few times oni and he learns it very fast! Now at 8mths old, he can hold his bottle liao. Bottle doesnt matter at all! It really depends on ur baby, if he is ready to learn anot. U hv to observe him. If his hands keep coming up to push e bottle away u can start teaching him liao. try putting both his hands on e bottle. At first, he will push it away or play wif it. Continue to do tiz every feed. He will learn it one day!

Read more
VIP Member

Every baby is different. Mine at 15 months doesn't even want to self feed. Not because she can't but she just prefers to be fed. Good life kid. You can try using a slimmer bottle or switch to a cup with handles. Pigeon mag mag has a cup for different stages. Stage 1 is with teat. Then progress to spout. Then to straw.

Read more
7y ago

Same! My girl is coming to 17 months and still don't want to hold her own bottle. She can, just don't want to..

VIP Member

It's not a MUST to teach. Some babies likes to hold their own bottles, whereas others like to be fed. You can guide the baby hand to hold the bottle while you are feeding, soon they will be able to drink themselves after they got the hang of holding the bottle and feeding themselves.

VIP Member

its not compulsory.. And different baby different ... Not all baby will hold by 4 months.. Even if they hold they dont feed themself at times.. So even now my baby is already 9mths and i m still holding it.. Coz if he hold.. he will play with it and not drinking it.

you don't really need to teach. some learn faster then others. it depends. you can encourage him to hold his bottle by placing his hands on the bottle along with you supporting it.

I didn't purposely train my boy to hold his bottle and feed himself.. Just let him be. No need to stress yourself or the baby.. My boy only starts holding by 9-10 months..

Is not a must to teach .. but u can Just hold his hands ard the bottle during feeding .. I used Pigeon slim but I think bottle doesn't matter ?

VIP Member

My son only learned how when he was almost a year old ... There's no real teaching I think, he just learned on his own anyways!

VIP Member

it's not a milestone to achieve I think, I won't be worried about that.

VIP Member

my dau onli start holding it wen she was 7 month plus.