Is it true that baby doesn't latch after bottle feed?

Hi mummies. Husband sort of strongly insist that I must always latch my baby in future (Edd Jan 2020 & I know its still early). Being a first time mum, I was trying to explain to him that I need my rest too during confinement & I suggest that I can pump out so that he or family can help with bottle feed. However husband heard from his friends that baby doesn't like to latch/refused nipple after bottle feed, is it true?

30 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

You can learn about feeding with syringes/the medicine cups. Those will not cause nipple confusion, and yes, husbands should learn how to feed the baby to give you rest if needed. As for bottle feeding, it depends on the baby. It’s true that some babies do refuse the breast after that if it’s easier to drink from the bottle. In my case, though, my kids always preferred the breast, so there’s that possibility as well, but to stay safe, I’d recommend syringe feeding. Easy to do once you get the hang of it.

Read more
5y ago

Nope. Won’t cause that:)

I had difficulty lathing my baby cos of my flat nipples. She was then cup fed in the hospital with formula milk and when we got home, I pump 95% of the time as she is impatient to find my nipples which I totally understand. Used a nipple shield to help, and also sometimes she does comfort latch after bottle feed now that my nipples somehow became longer after pumping! Do not stress yourself now, enjoy your pregnancy first because everyday we learn new things about our body and our baby!

Read more
Super Mum

There could be a risk of nipple confusion since the bottle will slowly drip out the milk, baby might not learn how to suck properly. So once latched baby will not suck but only wait for milk to come. Some bottles and teats like Medela Calma claims it won't cause such problem so you can try that, otherwise you can feed by syringe or cup to be safe. Nurses in the hospital or lactation consultant will help you with that.

Read more
VIP Member

It did happen to me at some point but do not worry, baby can learn to do both. My nipples were fine but my girl didn’t want to latch from me since she was bottle fed at the hospital (I forgot to instruct the nurses not to give her bottle). I exclusively pumped for the first 7 weeks. But on her 8th week, she learned how to latch. Now she latches when I’m home and drinks from the bottle when I’m at work.

Read more
VIP Member

Nope, not true. But sometimes if you introduce the bottle too early, it might cause nipple confusion. I went for a pregnancy seminar previously, the LC said best to introduce bottle only at 6 weeks. I latch and my helper will bottle feed baby when I’m not home. My baby still prefers to latch rather than bottle though. So really depends on your baby.

Read more

Babies are different. My friend bottlefed and breastfed her baby from day 1. My baby barely latch on me for the firsr 2 weeks as i had csection and bladder surgery. After that he refuses to latch and maybe because i was weak and couldnt take all the crying that is why i gave up and just pump and bottlefeed.

Read more

Nope..Not true for mine..I had trouble breastfeeding her when she's born and failed again and again till I thought I probably will never latch her. But I successfully did when she turned 2 months and she's latching till 2 years plus. Never give up!

TapFluencer

I latch my baby right from the start but will be introducing the bottle soon as he is going to infantcare. Im also worried about nipple confusion but from what im reading here, babies are smart enough to differentiate between the two

For my case, my baby didnt want to latch after the hospital used syringe and cup feeding, I think it made it kind of like baby gets milk without having to suck. After we used bottle to feed, she actually learnt to latch on better.

TapFluencer

Not true. I start to pump and latch during 2nd week after birth. My family will help me bottle feed during the day. And at night I will latch. Now my baby is 7 month old and I'm still doing the same.

Read more