Is epidural suggested??!!

Hi Mommies, I'm gonna be a first-time mom soon. Due in a-month time. Despite being told about the unbearable labor pain, I'm still hesitating about having epidural, after reading several cases of mishaps. Could you please share with me how was your experience? Thanks so much!

28 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

on the day itself then decide hahha i personally against epi at first bc i thgt I have high tolerance of pain. wow on the day itself ah, i feel like smacking the whole hospital down 🤣🤣🤣 i was induced from 0cm and after 12hrs,only 1cm opened. the pain is unbearable, plus doctors keep in and out my vagina everytime. can feel everything. with epi damn shiok dont feel anything 🤣🤣🤣 however delivery pushing part got me very tired. i had to endure all that pain for over 12hrs and by the time pushing, no strength liao for side effects, im less than a month pp and i do experiencing bad aches. the type you gotta slouch for abit to walk to sooth the pain first before walkong normally. even sitting too long is tiring.

Read more

Hi Jessie, before delivery I told husband I don't want epidural. I can do it! But I surrender after the gynae (at KKH) insert his hand to burst my water bag. Lol... The gynae told me 'Madam, I will be coming in randomly to put my hand in to check your cervix'... I was like huh???!!!! Seriously??? But honestly I had no regrets. I admitted at 7am, delivered at about 2pm. I was able to talk to my husband, rest quite a bit before I delivered. Do decide early if you want epidural. Once the pain comes in, might be a bit too late. I have back pain issue now but I know it's not becoz of the side effect. It's becoz I stand too long and bent when changing baby diapers.

Read more
4y ago

I heard of that too. However my gynae told me it's not. I also realised that my back hurts only when I bend forward to change baby diapers. If I don't bent, I have no issues.

Why not you wait for the pain, some of them able to tolerate the pain. For me first hour okay, next hour i still remember once the number increasing and reach about 25 and above I start feel the pain that I couldn't tolerate. Pain till I can't speak, I faster ask my husband call nurse I want EPIDURAL! Because I hear some of them no need epidural so I also wanna try. But I got fever after epidural

Read more

Epidural wasnt in my plan at all, and i refused it even when doctors frequently came in and keep asking me if i want it. It all depends on ur pain threshold. Personally for me, its all in the mind, and the correct breathing technique also plays a part. If i am not mistaken, the doctors cannot administer it anymore once you are dilated beyond 5-7cm.

Read more
4y ago

Thanks for sharing (: will re-cfm wiz my ob on the dilation.

At first I also don’t want to have it. But in the end I opt to have at a later part as my back was very pain. After giving birth, the back will get very tired very fast and sometime pain. But after few month it get better. Just sometime back will get tired easy. But at tat point of time there’s no choice. So let natural take it

Read more
4y ago

Thanks for sharing (:

Epidural.. Contractions are 100 or 1000 times more pain than your usual menses.. Of cos i will opt for laughing gas first.. But i was not asked in advance about painkillers but on the day of birth so you can understand how painful and frustrated i was at that time 😅 so i just opt epidural for some sleep..

Read more
VIP Member

I have been wanting to try all natural labor, but it was so different when you're already lying down in the delivery bed and they already augmented to speed up the delivery, at 5cm I couldn't bear the pain anymore so I just had to do it.. and even with the epidural anesthesia i can still feel the pain

Read more

After injecting the epidural, u can ask the nurse to adjust dosage de... no need to dose so much at the beginning if not u will feel numb... it really depends on the skill of the doc who did the epidural.. the doc did a good job for me...

VIP Member

I had no epidural for my first delivery. The pain was unbearable 30 mins - 1 hr prior delivery but I just endured. If your tolerance for pain is high, you can opt not to and just ask for it when you really cannot take it anymore.

4y ago

Thanks for sharing :) its my first too so sort of unsure my tolerence level.

VIP Member

Opt for it only when you really can't take the pain anymore. Even though the pain is unbearable, but I believe we can handle it in many ways. You can attend childbirth class to learn more about the relaxation techniques for labor

4y ago

Thank you for sharing! :)