Labour without epidural due to scoliosis

Hi :) Am a first time mum with scoliosis who is going to give birth really soon. I was advised by anaesthetist that there are higher risks for epidural not being effective for me or resulting in worsened back pain after birth hence she recommended for an alternative pain relief options such as laughing gas or PCA Fentanyl through IV. I’m feeling scared and worried of labour pains without epidural 😢 Any mums with scoliosis who had to choose alternative pain relief? How were your experiences like?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, I just gave birth yesterday with epidural but not effective for me even redo for second time. So I ended up with laughing gas and the IV drip that click every minute when contraction hits. It made me very drossy and I kept wanting to sleep. My husband had to keep waking me up to ask me to breath to boost the oxygen for my baby. Quite a pain for the whole experience but is better than no help on pain relief.

Read more
8mo ago

Thank you for sharing your experience! Take care in recovery 🙆🏻‍♀️

You can try the breathing technique. I never had any pain reliever when I delivered 2 months ago. ☺️ This is the breathing technique I used: https://youtu.be/GRMBY8JCPqE?si=sB4MMIkN9zgD74pS it helps me managed the pain.

8mo ago

This is really helpful! Thank you :)

I don't have scoliosis, but I birth led naturally without pain medications. what I think helped was doing accupuncture the last 3 weeks of pregnancy, water immersion during labour, and having a doula present to assist.

8mo ago

yes yes cervix checks more painful. i had the same experience too. worst still, as I was induced but no opening for the first 2 days, my cervix checks were every few hours. i cried every check and got scolded too. was at nuh. its the staff problem, I had one check from a different staff and it wasnt painful. my hubby requested if we could have the nicer staff for subsequent checks but couldnt, as it is based on their work schedule, like who is on duty that hour ...

I’m currently at 36 weeks and I have scoliosis with titanium rods attached to my spine. I was given the option of unmedicated natural birth or c sec. I’m opting for c sec - LA first and if it doesn’t work then GA.

8mo ago

All the best to you in your delivery! 🙆🏻‍♀️

I have scoliosis too! For my firstborn i took epidural & it worked well for me. For my 2nd born i didnt take epidural just the laughing gas! But i still have backaches even w/o taking the epidural 🫠

no scoliosis, but gave birth naturally for both. 1st with laughing gas, 2nd without anything. you can do this 💪

8mo ago

Thank you for your encouragement!