Languange for your LO

Hi mommies.. i confuse what language that will we use for talking with our LO.. i n my husband come from Indonesia, so all can speak bahasa.. my family using hokian for daily speaking.. i try speaking using hokian to my lo.. but my husband keep talking in bahasa because he cant hokian. all song and book in english languange. Can baby absorb so many languange? 2 days later, He is already 5m old.

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

My son was exposed to 4-5 languages at home since young too - and I can tell you that he now understands them all very well! BUT, you have to make the effort to try and let one person use only one language with him - or at least NOT to mix them together during a certain activity. Meaning, the same person can talk to him in two languages - BUT only one at a time (eg. Reading activity in chinese, then when reading is over then use english for play time etc). I'm saying this because my son had isolated speech delay - and the two main reasons we could identify was 1) my parents liked speaking multiple languages to him at the same time = he got confused about which word he should use in what language to ask for what he wants and 2) my parents (main caregiver while I was finishing my studies) were always giving him the things he wanted without him even asking/pointing to them = he never really had the need to express himself. He took about 10 months of speech therapy and also been in childcare for 6 months now, I also took over looking after him as soon as I graduated, so he's currently having a 6-month interim break from speech therapy before another assessment - but it was a tough and long 2.5 years before he could catch up to his peers in terms of speaking.

Read more
5y ago

Thanks for sharing 🙏🏻

TapFluencer

I grew up with 4 different languages. But my parents consistently spoke to me in Hokkien, we used English and Mandarin in school and I spoke Tagalog with my friends. I learned to speak these languages quickly and fluently.

5y ago

Woww that was cool👍🏻👍🏻

Babies’ language skills are very good! I think they pick up languages best before age of 3! I’ll be happy to expose my kids to more languages if I know how to speak them!

VIP Member

your LO can absorb languages like a sponge! Have a quick read here: https://sg.theasianparent.com/how-to-boost-your-babys-language-development

5y ago

Wow.. thanks. It so helpful.. will read it 😊

Super Mum

No worries. Babies can absorb so much when they are young.. In fact they absorb the knowledge fastest when they are before 3...

VIP Member

He can understand what ever u talk .. just teach him as many languages as possible..

the more languages and even dialects they learn, better for their development

Your baby will be fine in such a multilingual evironment.

VIP Member

Don't worry the more languages the merrier!

VIP Member

more language is better