To all multilingual moms

Are there any multilingual mom's out there? How do u teach local language to ur baby? I am an hindi speaking indian residing in Singapore because of job. I & my husband know english but mother in law doesn't. So we talk at home in hindi. I want my child to learn english ASAP because I don't want him to feel alien when he joins kindergarten or school.

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

For my elder daughter, I started off with mainly 1 language first.. then later on, I used the known language to teach the second language with translations.. while still introducing new words to her in the first language. But I realised... she somehow learnt the first language by listening, interpreting body language, etc. So for my second daughter, I’m just speaking to her (and my first daughter and husband) in both languages. She understands one more than the other for now, but they’ll pick both languages up in a much shorter time than adults. So you can start with flash cards/picture books. Would be great if they have both the hindi and English words, but otherwise, even pictures alone would be good enough. Start teaching the vocabulary and then gradually work towards phrases and sentences. It’s also really helpful once your little one understands some English, to start speaking a few phrases of English at home regularly.

Read more

U may wanna start reading english for your kid before bed time ? How old is he ? Start buying books with colourful pictures . Or u may wanna go to the library often . Start pointing to him(tree or a bird) and repeat the word over and over again .

TapFluencer

You may use English with your baby We use multi languages at home, my boy turning 1 next week and he's able to understand most of our languages when we talk to him